In danger of taking the kitchen sink again! HELP

laguna

Reaction score
Next week sees me fishing a venue I haven't fished since I was a kid. I'm quite looking forward to it actually, apparently it has changed significantly for the better over the years with proper platform pegs, limestone paths, tree planting etc.

Nothing spectacular as I remember, just a large gravel pit lake in pleasant surroundings with a few varied residents to occupy me carp, roach, perch and pike!

Its only one rod/pole allowed at a time so i'm wondering what should I go for?

Pike I normally target at the first sign of frost, so its a bit too early for me, but then again I suppose spinning for perch with a chance of getting a bonus pike?

Carp are a bit thin on the ground and there's no night fishing without full membership (£12 concessionary rate 1st Oct for the remainder of the year.)

I guess its a toss up between roach fishing and spinning...

Maybe ill take a pole + spinning rod and alternate between the two or,

Fish for perch and roach on maggot, caster or punched bread on a size 20's with 2lb hook link and prey a lump don't break me off?

oh yeah, its also a steep drop off to 12ft just 10ft out so if their feeding on the bottom I could probably just swing them to hand using the top 3 sections. (also never lure fished deep water for pike so that could be a deciding factor)

What to do guys?
I'm so indecisive, and i'm not normally like this but someone needs to advise otherwise ill end up taking the kitchen sink again! :D

guest61

Reaction score
Although I'm an aficionado of taking too much gear with me a recent opportunist trip had me scale down to rod, reel, tackle box, landing net, seat, bait and a bucket to carry it all in. I plan to repeat this over the weekend, targeting Roach with hemp and bread.

There are pro's and con's to both approaches, but its up to you. As the daylight hours reduce I'm more likely to target specific species and so take limited tackle.

Whatever you end up doing - its fishing. ;)

Tight lines.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Pole or waggler (you might need a slider) close in. Bring some worms as well for the perch. For the pike fishing a few rubber lures for bouncing along the bottom T2U have loads.

laguna

Reaction score
Whatever you end up doing - its fishing.
Indeed it is Mr Rocket!

Sean, good idea lobs, reds or dendros?

I think on reflection I will take the pole, perhaps target the roach with bread/maggot and perch with worms. I'll try and get them up on the ledge in the margins where its shallower and visit again for the pike when its a bit colder.

terry m

Reaction score
Make your mind up and stick to it. At least that way you will have the right level of confidence.

Personally I would take the float gear and have worms at the ready as previosly suggested.

Good luck !

laguna

Reaction score
I remember a little trick to get lobs from the ground without digging...

Pour washing up water on the lawn and they come up gasping for air :D