Advice On Timewasters

Jay Folly

Reaction score
2.gif

I'm looking to see what the carpers in this forum have to say on a subject that really p****s me off!
I run a lake with a restriction of only 6 anglers fishing at a time, and today I have a no show for a booking for 3 swims. I have had to turn down loads of enquiries over the last few days, so could have filled the places. I have rang the number given, left text & voice messages with no reply.

Now, should I take payment on taking the bookings?
How do others feel? Would you pay in advance for your fishing?

thankfully it only happend twice last year (although they were bookings for private hire, lost £480)
16.gif

So its over to the forum members, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
42.gif

www.TalltreesFishery.com

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Keep a record of those who let you down without giving you enough notice to give their place to someone else, and then the next time they book, remind them of the time they let you down and that they're now required to send you a deposit on the new booking.

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jay: At the end of the day you,ve lost money due to the bookings.

Also you are out of pocket (phone calls texts) And yet they did not have the descent's to replay to you.

This should be a lesson to you. And YES you should take payment on bookings. This way it will not happen again.

At the end of the day, it,s your business, and say it was to fold,who,s fault would it be, You,rs. So never again let this happen.

Jimmy.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I am in a similar position to you Jay. Although I only take bookings from members with no money involved. If money was involved I would at least ask for half their advance booking fees. And see how things worked out from there.

In my case, if somebody does not turn up after making a booking, and they do not give me notice that they wish to cancel. I keep a record of their number, and refuse them the next time they want to book on.

Spoddy Dave dst

Reaction score
Jay get the money off them first mate, its a shame but the few spoil it for the majority if you let them.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Just a question, if some had booked, not paid and then phoned up the night before and said sorry cannot make it, would that make any difference?

You would still lose money, a risk in any business, and sometimes things happen and people have last minute changes, but I bet you would not be so miffed if they had called?

Paying in full in advance will put off some people, others like me do not mind, but you cannot get "passing trade" like a restaurant, when a swim is booked then others cannot use it at short notice. If I book and pay in advance and the weather is bad, or I have other commitments then that is my loss, if I book a boat trip and the owner cancels due to weather I expect a refund, that is his risk.

Joey

Reaction score
I would say that you should ask for payment in advance. If they are serious about wanting to fish then they should understand the reason why.

G

Ged

I would charge a booking fee. If some one does not turn up at least you have some money. Also, if they cancel, you keep the booking fee (unless it is a good excuse) and are able to let again. If some does not turn up at time booked, I'd given 2 - 3 hours and see about letting out on the spot to anyone who may happen to turn up. If original booking turns up, well it's just their tuff luck unless they let you know that they might be late.

Morespiders

Reaction score
I see your dilemma Jay, really your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

There's i suppose genuine people that through unforseen circumstance's cant make it,

and the other's that just think sod it.

you lose either way , think it's something you have to put up with.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Jay, if there are onlysix pegs per day, could you not take a booking deposit, non refundable if cancelled within three days of the booked date, AND, keep a list, telephonenumbers etc: of all who wanted to book on the same day, as to minimumnotice they would need to fill the cancelled bookings.

Trust you understand whatI mean.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
ask for a cheque in the post to hold the dates people want and advise them that less than 36hrs notice means they lose the money.

they will tow the line one way or the other.

you dont loose out/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

You do what the market will bear.

If as you say you could have sold the pegs 'loads of times' over the last few days then there seems no good reason not to either ask for full payment up front or at the very least an 'earnest fee' deposit proportion of the booking, together with a requirement to pay the balance in full not less than 'X' days before the due date, or forfeit both booking and deposit. Metcheck gives pretty reliable weather forecasts up to fifteen days ahead for those punters in doubt..... If they dob out or fail to confirm then sell to someone else.

However bear in mind the cautionary example of the restaurant trade. For a brief while back in the late 80's (when credit cards were reallly just catching on) a number of posh restaurants (self perceived as posh anyway) used to insist on a credit card number being given before accepting any booking. If you didn't turn up to honour that booking they would debit your card with the cost of an average cost main course meal....

This worked fine for about ten minutes. Then they started to wonder why their dining roms were empty.

So... take care not to over play the hand, but if you do have that much demand then you aren't really in any difficulty as long as you are sympathetic to your market.

There is every now and then going to be the chap with the legitimate excuse who deserves some sympathy. Though if he tells you that his wife has died a third time in three last minute cancellations I think you're entitled to cash the cheque.....

Jay Folly

Reaction score
Thanks for some good advice........

After reading them I decided to use PayPal for bookings.

After a couple of days it has done the trick! An advance booking for May from a new customer that is now paid up!

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifThanks once again to the forum members who took time to reply to my question.

Next timeI have a problem, I know who to ask!!!

The Monk

Reaction score
Now, should I take payment on taking the bookings?
How do others feel? Would you pay in advance for your fishing?

yes definately Jay, In wont even consider doing a wedding unless I`m paid in full a month before and I take a booking fee when its booked
you can`t afford to run a business and not do so

eel611

Reaction score
Think he has a 'box brownie' Matt, seen him in action once at a mates wedding, how anyone can use a camera after that much stella is beyond me! he took 200 pictures of his left pupil!