Go Fishing Show 08

Specihunter

Reaction score
What a waste of a day out .It was cramped ,just a few big names there (anglers and companies) only 3 arenas and too many shops.The VIP tickets were worthless yes we got a free dvd but the only prefernce seating we got was for the martin bowler shows.

It was so bad i left by 1pm and the food was way overpriced.

Specihunter

Reaction score
got the new mojo ground bait but none of the new mat hayes stuff and i dont know about the film watch the only good thing des taylor and john wilson have a go at angling times

N

NomadPaul

****y , speaking to someone on another forum , the Martin Bowler/Hugh Miles series isn't due out till 2009 /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

R

Robert Wild (ACA)

I have to agree with specihunter I have not missed a show since it started and I thought last years was bad but this was the worse show yet as far far as I was concerned. Not enough major players for me and to many retail outlets selling cheap gear. I like to look and see whats availableand thenbuy from my local tackle shop. I wont be going next year which is a shame as its usually the fist date I book off work in the year.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
It was my first time at the NEC and I must say it wasn't that impressive. I would have loved to see more demonstrations and it was a bit over prized. Most of the gear I could have got cheaper on the internet.

Still, it was an experience and I even met our old friend Wendy Perry there....her usual self, full of beans and I couldn't hardly keep up with her lol.

big worm

Reaction score
Get in Terry's Tackle Congleton all the gear you need for a good days fishing,without all the bull.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
big dissapointment.

i did the whole circuit a few times and left in 2 hours.

£16 entry plus £8 parking was day light robbery for what seemed like a turn out 50% less than last time from the trade.

if the venue is too expensive for tackle companies move the show.

i would of loved to of seen erics angling,climax tackle,england angling,poingdestres or simular tackle business's that do lots of mail order show at the nec.

it was sad........................

W

Wolfman Woody

I take it you weren't impressed with the prices of the food either, Speci. That's twice you've pointed that out.

On top of everything else it sounds like you'd have been better off going down the road and getting some fish and chips.

It's been like that for donkey's years. Rubbish food, overpriced and the Brummies can't make a decent cup of coffee to save their lives.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

1997 when I last went.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Sounds to me like this show is dying a slow quiet death.

Every year people say how dissapointing it was, how fewer big names (anglers and tackle suppliers) turn up and how exensive everything is.

On top of that the advertising this year seemed a little sparse, I hardly even knew it was on.

I didn't go by the way, didn't fancy it after the last two years.

GreyFox

Reaction score
Expensive, cramped and had the look of being cobbled together on the back of a fag packet.

Plus point, all the 'names' I spoke to, had photos taken with (sad I know!) were friendly and obliging. I know it's the fishing public that gives them their lifestyle, but you couldn't say the same about many big names from a lot of other sports.

However, won't make the effort again!

Reaction score
'Moribund' was the definitely the word for last year's event.

I want to see cutting egde tackle developments straight from a comprehensive range of manufacturer's stands, not a bunch of market stalls selling over-priced cack.

I'm glad I went fishing instead this year!

Reaction score
Co-incidentally moribund is one of my favourite words, so it's great to get the opportunity to use it in an appropriate context on the forum. Thanks Speci!! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

For those who haven't come across this gem of a word...

mor·i·bund /ˈmɔr
thinsp.png

əˌbʌnd, ˈmɒr-/ <a title="Click for pronunciation key">Pronunciation Key</a> - <a title="Click to show spelled pronunciation">Show Spelled Pronunciation</a>[mawr-uh-buhnd] adjective 1.in a dying state; near death. 2.on the verge of extinction or termination. 3.not progressing or advancing; stagnant: e.g. a moribund angling show.

ingy

Reaction score
havnt been for about 4 years and it was gettinng crap then so by the sound of it good job i saved my money , it is a exspecive day out with fuel, tickets,food and parking so i will save my money maybe a change of venue and re think neaded

Specihunter

Reaction score
****y anytime and yea they had it right when i 1st went. All of the tackle firms were there, all forms of fishing had there areas and shows. Plenty of freebies and more types of stalls there from bait companies to tackle shops, linear and cemex werent even there.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

I attended on the Friday and the only word I can use to describe it is 'embarrassing'. For the industry as a whole that is.

There was an Outdoors show next door and the comparison really was embarrassing. It was significant justhow many major manufacturers were absent (nearly all of them). The 'celebrities' gave their all as usual and put on good shows, but I felt sorry for them as their usual audiences were very small compared to other years.

The answer is to hold the show in a cheaper arena to start with, and for the organisers and manufacturers to sort out their differences over selling gear at the shows.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
What differences Graham?

I don't understand why the organisers wouldn't encourage the big tackle manufacturers or why the manufacturers wouldn't want to exhibit at what is (supposedly) the biggest show of the year?

It seems, to use the latest lingo, 'a no brainer'.

W

Wolfman Woody

Some manufacturers disagree with selling product at the shows. I see that too.

Did they have the Marilyn Munroe lookalike this year with the wind machine blowing her skirt up? That was a cracking show, didn't miss a one. Mind you, the holes in her tights were getting large and obvious by the end of the day where anglers had been trying to grab a piece of the action.

Not me though, good as gold I was. /forum/smilies/angel_smiley.gif