dissapointing go fishing show

Mad Dog

Reaction score
just wanted to say how sad the 'go fishing show' was because of poor turn out by the trade.

i payed £16 to get in with £8 for parking and got around several times in 2hours and left!

only korda,solar tackle,enterprise tackle and dynamite baits saved the day for me.

it seemed half the size of last year and very bad value for money.

will it be there next year?

not if the trade ignores it.

i know it must be expensive to exhibit but the show should'nt go ahead half empty.

what do you think if you went?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
having been involved with exhibitions, you cannot blame the fishing trade for not turning out. They must see a return on investment and no doubt once bitten twice shy.

For exhibitions to work year on year, then all must see a return on their buck, that''s the visitor, the exhibitioner and the event organiser. If some are disapointed, then there is clearly a problem.

big gus

Reaction score
Was very poor with so few of the big names actually bothering.

There was a huge turnout to see Nuddy at midday on the Saturday but he was a no-show despite being billed, too.

Best thing? Martin Bowler's talk/presentation and the teasing clips of the 'Impossible' series due to air around Christmas time.

But overall, very very disappointing. I was lucky enough to be in on a Press pass but those who paid have a decent shout at complaining. Where were the big guns??

On a seperate note, it's frightening just how much Bowler is starting to morph into David Beckham when he speaks...

Mad Dog

Reaction score
yep and if you aged him he could become worzel gummidge if that hair doesnt see a barber/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Last Gasp Carper

Reaction score
i was quite disappointed to. I thought like you it had shrunk and i thought the 16 quid entry fee was ridiculous!! I wasn't very happy with matt hayes either he had a que for autographs all day and he refused to sign a hat that i had signed by all the other big names at the show because it wasn't his own TFG branded stuff!

martin73

Reaction score
I have never been to this show and in all honesty, I doubt I ever will, but I do wonder how many companies justify the cost of suchlike shows, you have to sell a heck of allot of gear to pay for the pitch for the weekend and pay the staff to man it, the fuel to get there and such.

Last year we hired a few refrigerated trailers to a good few shows of some description and speaking to our customers some pitches were costing in excess of £10,000+for a weekend, even some of the smaller outdoor events were seeing pitches going for £2000 a day! I don't know a cost of a pitch at this show but being in an indoor environmentIsuspect it's going to cost some £££s.

I think it's a bit harsh being disappointed with the manufacturers for not showing, think of their costs and with no guarantee of making it back or a poor turnover maybe experienced last time they went perhaps they have good reason to stay away?

I know we havelooked into holding a pitch at some shows for our business but the cost of the weekend on the whole was astronomical!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Last year (or it could have beenthe year before) the totalcost for one of the manufacturers who wasn't there this year, with staff wages and hotel bills, topped £80,000.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Problem is we have access to most of what we want to know via the internet nowadays.........so we have a year round show.

I find Last gasp carpers post very sad, a refusal by an angler to sign another anglers hat!!!!

I will never ever buy certain products..........it's the only way to treat such conceit.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Last Gasp and Paul, that is exactly what I witnessed a couple of years back, I posted this on Speci Hunter's thread:

'The first time I went we had a chat with John Wilson and he was a thoroughly nice bloke, seemed to have time for anyone and everyone.

Bob James too.

Both of them were signing autographs for anyone that asked whereas a certain Mr Hayes was only signing TFG caps at a fiver a go! yet people were queuing up for them?'

'I don't begrudge the man a living Greg but it seems to me like anything he can squeeze a couple of quid out of he will - like the cap signing a couple of years ago. He wasn't signing anything other than his TFG caps at £5.00 a time.'

John Wilson even signed my butt (I'll never tire of that gag).

Mad Dog

Reaction score
lets not do the nec then!

get everybody somewhere cheaper to sell/promote at.

i did wonder whether the likes of 'dragon'/used tackle may put some dealers off even without the events costs as their so cheap?

with reference to john wilson i have also had very warm chats at shows with him and he is a very nice man.

signed my bits and posed for the camera without hesitation.

maybe matt was worried about his stand costs and needed the fivers/forum/smilies/party_smiley.gif