HDR Photography

F

Frothey

Anyone played with it? images like these....
2238250619_f2d8bf8a6c_o.jpg

IMG_9820_18_19_tonemapped.jpg

The Monk

Reaction score
yes just think thing on Thinkcamera mate/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif, ill post the link

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I'm not enamoured with pictures of cars, however the photo of the old American wood fired loco is very good, but it would look wonderful in monochrome.

The landscape shot has a glaring error that could be cured with a bit of cropping as well as CS3 manipulation.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

By the way my D300 has a "D Lighting" function which brightens dark areas and shadows. Very useful for landscape photography and pictures taken against the light.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Bought digital camera magazine yesterday, nice piece on HDR in there.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Not HDR but an image I've been playing around with in Photoshop.
pscanal.jpg

Deanos

Reaction score
Why is the tow path blue?....the whole picture looks like it has been "exterminated" by a Dalek!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Actually the picture is well composed and I think would look better in monochrome. There is excellent utilisation of the "rule of thirds" and a nice "lead in" with the tow path.

What is spoiling it is the flash of magenta in the top left hand corner.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
This is the original image. The Photoshopped one above was done just for fun. Weird yes, but a certain appeal.
pscana2l.jpg

The Monk

Reaction score
the originals better, I thought I was having an acid flashback for a minute/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I like the original much better Graham.

Try monochroming it, put an adjustment layer on the sky and change it to somthing a little more dramatic. Finally get rid of that obscure "business" and extra shadow in front of the figure walking down the towpath. You can probably do that with the healing brush.

You might also try ramping up the contrast in curves.

W

Wolfman Woody

/members/images/6812/Gallery/Bulbourne_manipulated.jpg

And then Dracula appeared on the bank.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Try monochroming it, put an adjustment layer on the sky and change it to somthing a little more dramatic. Finally get rid of that obscure "business" and extra shadow in front of the figure walking down the towpath. You can probably do that with the healing brush.

You might also try ramping up the contrast in curves.</blockquote>
Says somebody who doesn't know how to resize an image so he can put it in the Gallery or on here. And that's after spending hours on the phone trying to talk him through it/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I've been spending too much time with Photoshop Graham and not enough on a few basics.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Hey Graham,

I've got the hang of re-sizing now. From now on there'll be no stopping me.

What is fascinating is that you can send an image electronically on reduced MPs and when it gets to the other end you can look at it full size in all its glory.

How do they do that I wonder.

In the meantime, regard me as the new Ansel Adams!

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Anyone remember ORWOchrome? A film from beyond the Iron curtain (I think) that gave amazingly saturated colours - very reminiscent of the first shot.

So, what's this HDR stuff; and how "wow-zow" a camera do you need for it?