Andy's Silver Bream

Reaction score
A superb looking fish Andy, well done... /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

How do you tell the difference between silver bream and run-of-the-mill skimmer bream?

Reaction score
Thanks Ian,

Just the job mate, very informative.

I have to admit I've never really considered targetting them, but that is one handsome fish Andy's caught. Are they in the Severn? We catch loads of 1lb12oz to 2lb plus oddities that we generally dismiss as roach/ bream hybrids...

Reaction score
silver bream
074_74.jpg

immature bronze bream.
Image6.jpg

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

****y.......i can't ever remember catching anything on the Severn that made me think it may be a silver.......but plenty of hybrids yes.

Nice one yet again for old putrid suit!

Reaction score
Cheers Paul,

I was worried that I was getting blasee (? spelling, should be an acute accent there somewhere as well), about the nuisance 2lbers with a liking for boilie and large pellet /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

Reaction score
no probs ****y, do remember watching a matt hayes thingy on sky a while back, the one where he follows a river from source to sea, wason the lower severn baggin on wag and mag,catching silver bream one after the other .

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

But were they REAL silvers? on the lower Severn some swims are alive with baby common bream.....and just cossomeone is a name means sweet FA to me.

Like ****y i have caught a lot of"unidentified" silversincluding a huge one in excess of 3lbs.....not once did i think i wasunhooking a big silve

Reaction score
Paul,matty boy never refered to them as silver bream,he alsocalled them hybrids,but to me they looked very silver breamy, just like above picy.

i am sure this argument could role on and on forever............./forum/smilies/sleepy_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Jonathan.......sorry you have to turn a debate into an argument and find it so boring.........if "matty" didn't call them silvers why did you?........./forum/smilies/sleepy_smiley.gif

My first rule of fish ID.....if it don't look right it probably aint!!!

Reaction score
Paul, debate argument whatever............

and they did look right so they probably were, as you said yourself "just cos someones a name means FA to me"/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Ill bet they were zander bait!

But it has to be in my hand to know if it's right.......not matty's.....so 30yrs on the lower 7 suggests to me they weren't /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
It sure could Johnathan, they look so similar!

I'd like to know if, from a fish survey point of view, we know for sure that they are present in the Severn?

Mark's article suggests that they were originally (like barbel) eastern orientated in distribution but to complicate matters many have also been trans-located...

Reaction score
O.K. Paul point taken mate, your local river not mine will now go and stick my northern head back in the wippet racers weekly/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
30 years??? you dont look a day older than 25 onthat pic pal......../forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

LOL......we have plenty whippets were i come from Jon, i don't think we are that different and would have a great day fishing together............I'm certain they are in the 7 ****y......but i'm sure the 11/2 to 2lbers we have both caught aint em.

Hahahaha 25!!i can still f*** likea 25yr old.........but for longer! lol

Reaction score
perhaps translocated from a nearby stillwater during times of flood,or ajacentcanal system that joins river ****ie the possibilities are endless.perhaps theresanother fm member watchingwho works for the powers that be that can shed a bit more light on the subject???

Reaction score
the odd one might even found its way in out of a livebait bucket belonging to a traveling piker.......contensious i know but we all know it has and does happen/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

It was acceptable behaviour at one time Jon.....having a ready supply of livebaits was paramount to the succsesful piker and not only on the 7, it was country wide.

You are 100% right Jon, it was responsible for "alien" introductions, possibly including silvers..............but i for one am not convinced with the disease spreading allegations.

But thats another debate.