river dove 2012

john hooper

Reaction score
such as been life and the amount of rain that we have endured this year with the river in almost continuous flood i have only managed a couple of trips to the dove at dove ridge, the first trip resulted in just a single chub of about 4lbs despite fishing till well past midnight, this hasn't been unusual on the dove however the latest trip has filled me with optimisim for the future.On saturday i fished through the afternoon trotting with maggots and as well as the usual grayling and trout i caught seven chub from about 1/2 ib to 1 1/2 ibs and several nice dace a species i havn't previously caught on this stretch. The small chub were particuarly welcome as for some years we seemed to be fishing for a few large fish with no new year groups coming through , at last this cycle seems to be coming to an end.Now i would like some roach to catch, it's not to much to ask is it ?, breaking my barbel duck on the dove would be good to. Lets hope the young fish spell a comeback towards some big catches in the future.

john

john hooper

Reaction score
river still fishing well especially for the grayling with some nice perch and some largish brownies thrown in, the trout may be a bit suicidal but they put up a great scrap, a big salmon must be awesome.

john

nifflewig

Reaction score
My young lad 14,is fishing it a lot he's had as above dace, grayling, browns with the odd chub, on float and feeder.
He catches most times he goes, but I suppose it's all on how the river is, as we live near it he can pick and chose when he goes, ( currently normal level, and clear ).

john hooper

Reaction score
i wqas hoping to get down over xmas but it looks a non starter at the moment every time it looks like water levels are getting back to normal the heavens open, depressing.

john

Steve Hurst

Reaction score
I attempted to fish at Dove ridge on Friday but the stream I have to cross was burst. The barbel on that beat are challenging to say the least!

john hooper

Reaction score
managed a few hours last tusday three trout and a couple of chub around the 3lb mark, lovely day to be out. The river at doveridge was showing quite a bit of flood damage indeed the farmer had put out warning signs for errosion . Dissapointing season this year mainly due to the weather, lets hope for better in june.

john