Simples...

Windy

Reaction score
Y'know what, I have been musing of late on stuff.

I was getting to the point of very infrequent fishing because simply of the complete can't be arsed-ness of getting all the gear together and wheeling it this way and that and setting up and taking down and... an hour to get there, an hour to set up, an hour to take down.... sheesh.

So this season, allowing for a pretty awful start with the weather either tipping it down or burning my baldness to a cinder, I have gone back to basics.

No, not joining the Norfolk jacketed, plus fours and cane rod brigade, but just basics.

I thought back to when did I MOST enjoy my fishing. Came up with the answer when I was young, hadn't a clue and hadn't much tackle. Everything had to be capable of being carried on my pushbike.

Got bit more of a clue these days, but have very strongly reverted to not so much tackle.

This last month or so I have made a concerted effort to cut out all the myriad alternatives, choices and weight of tackle that no surrounds us.

New rule: only three rods in the car, - 1 x float, ledger and spinning. Secondly, take only one of them out of the car at a time. One discipline, one rod, no rod pods or three way multiples. One man, one rod, concentrate and do it right. Well, as right as I ever get it, I still remain a dub.

Plus which the only other tackle is my tackle box for the relevant discipline, landing net and that's it. Oh, and a small shoulder bag for a pint of maggots, a loaf of bread, or half a dozen spinners (as applicable). And a lump of my home made secret recipe paste (or cheese paste if after chub).

When tackling up I then don't worry about clever shotting patterns I have read in the latest magazines, or super fine lines or super modern hi tech lines (anyone want to buy my stockpile of useless nano and super thin flouro lines ? all of which cut through themselves and are therefore effectively useless for anything but the lure fishing they were designed for) nor do I bother dotting down my float tip to a tiny almost invisible spot on the water, or using impossibly fine float tips in the first place....
Nope. Good solid half an inch of peacock waggler sticking up nice and visibly with bulk shot where God intended, round its base, and no great sophistication beneath that.

Oh, and running water. Definitely running water.

And you know what ?

I've been enjoying myself, no end.

And even more surprisingly, catching fish consistently, more frequently, in larger quantities and of generally better quality than I ever have over the last three or four seasons.

Not threatening any PB's or so on, but on the other hand enjoying myself muchly. Very very more muchly.

And my goodness me, the quality of fish in the effectively unfished rivers and navigations is startlingly good in my area.

So I think I am kinda reconnecting with what I enjoy about this sport. Not being clever, or the best, or competitive, or even particularly good - cos I ain't - but just happy fuddling along in my own happy way.

I know how to catch more with dotted down this and micro that and invisible lines that I can't see to tie to a size 22, and all the theories and complicated feeds and this that and the other..... but bloody hell, damned if I want to.

I suspect that I may be heading for the plus fours, but definitely nothing is ever going to make me give up the joys of a modern rod !

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Got to where you are some time ago. I call it "pleasure plus fishing". One rod, one chair, one landing net, one rod rest etc and no more than 6 floats nad hooks. etc.. Its only fear why anglers carry so much, overcome that and your on the way. And go by bus or train when possible, why add stress to your day.

Use your favorite mode of transport, food, drink, venue, swim, seat, rod, reel, float, bait etc. Chuck the rest in the dustbin-pleasure plus fishing; its the only way.

Last edited:

guest61

Reaction score
I like taking a relative ‘mountain of tackle’ out with me, I find planning a helps. I have had some really enjoyable sessions taking ‘options’ on remote river bank swims, ‘settling in’ for the day, building the swim catching different species on differing tactics as they come on to the bait.

I also take one rod and minimal tackle and bait at times – it depends on what my mood is, whether I have time to prepare and where I’m headed.

There are pros and cons for both approaches; I can fully understand that one could become stale doing either for any length of time.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
most of my fishing involves , a small shoulder bag for end tackle, net, chair, bait bag and 2 rods, one set up to ledger ,the other float rod.

I did used to take all the above plus a rucksack full of extra gear, all manner of baits just in case, a brolly every time (now only if there is threat of rain)

Terry D

Reaction score
That sounds like a really great idea Simples. I'm also getting a bit fed up carting a ton of match fishing gear about for that "just in case" mentality. I've really gone off match fishing to quite a large extent and often go to my local 'match-carp' water and just take a waggler rod and fish for the roach, which I also find very enjoyable. You just can't fish for them in a match as you must catch carp to win. Just wish there was some decent river fishing close to where I live.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
What are you taking to Damflask Paul?

Quiver tip rod, shoulder bag of end tackle, chair, net, quiver with landing net handle bank stick brolly (just in case given previous years weater) bait bag

Not like previous years when I took the kitchen sink

I'll also be bringing port, crackers, cheese, pork pie (theses will not be carried to the bank side)

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
One of my first purchases was a combined stool set with cooler bag, I'm carrying more weight in bait than I did when just using this to carry everything except a rod and landing net

Good idea though Windy, (hope you keep your brolley with you, your need is greater than most :D)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Another great thing about going light is the speed it takes to pack up and change swim; I can do it in about 3-5 mins. But, to be fair these days my sessions are short, about 2-5 hours. I would take more gear if I was doing all day sessions but, would still keep it as low as possible. You don't have to go prepared for every eventuality under the sun. Some of those eventualities I used to prepare for have never happened in years of fishing. I have never died of hunger or thirst or even broken a rod or reel while fishing, so I don't prepare for such things anymore and a half dozen floats covers anything; why take a 100 of them?. OK. one day I will get caught out but, that will be the first time in 30 years so, I could handle it. It would never outweigh the pleasure of traveling light and being to move about with ease I have had in recent years. So, I would recommend trying it to anyone.

guest61

Reaction score
One thing that I did which simplifed things on the bank was to buy a decent sized tackle box that carries everything including and number of floats - I went through a stage of having separate smaller tackle boxes and got caught out a few times - certain important items not being in one place.

I have a good number of floats in tubes but they're categorised sticks, big sticks, wagglers, big wagglers, sliders, bolo, pole floats etc.. and I can take what I need.

I'm designing (for personal use) a light weight bait waiter / rod rest which will support a float rod on rocky river banks. Providing bait and tackle items to hand plus hold a rod. I got a bit fed up of the existing Drennan designs falling over when presented with a bait box full of hemp if not driven into the ground - sometimes that's not possble.

So lightweight 'missions' will be rod, reel, bait, tackle box, tube of floats (to taste) waders and the baitwaiter rod rest combo.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It might sound odd, but I am using a laptop computer bag. It has 6 holes for pens re floats; several zipped pockets for license, hooks etc. The main bit carries my reel etc. It has straps or shoulder strap for carrying. It is ideal and got it for 50p in a junk shop. That and my nylon bag for the rod and landing net. The camping chair is the only draw back. Would like something light and small and comfortable that folds up.

Reaction score
Quiver tip rod, shoulder bag of end tackle, chair, net, quiver with landing net handle bank stick brolly (just in case given previous years weater) bait bag

Not like previous years when I took the kitchen sink

I'll also be bringing port, crackers, cheese, pork pie (theses will not be carried to the bank side)

Paul

Don't forget your keepnet.