Winter on the Dorset Stour

G

Gary Knowles

three sixes in a day is an awesome acheivement (from anywhere) so very well done, and for the bloke in the next swim to catch six sixes in the same day is just incredible....

what a river...where's my road atlas ;o)

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Well done Neil, I hope the Stour of your youth continues to bring you such pleasure.

I will have to return there, but I might leave it until the autumn, I used to walk the dog there when I lived in Poole and remember the summers were very crowded.

There are some cracking fish in that part of the river, and it is an achievement to have landed some of the finer specimens, I look forward to fishing with you again there in the coming season.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Nice article and nice fishing Neil.

For anyone wanting to fish Throop but who fears being put off by the crowds, it is fair to say that beats 1 and particulary 3 are much less busier than beat 2, and that even beat 2 below the school bridge is less busier than above.

B

Bully

.......just head south Barney to those easy southern rivers /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif)

I agree though 3 sixes and 6 sixes on the same stretch, same day, amazing.

One question Neil, what is a "rather scruffy chub"??

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Great article Neil, enjoyed your exploits, and well done too - what a season you've had.

Bully asks:
"what is a "rather scruffy chub"??"

Er, Any Chub caught north of the Watford Gap?

[dons tin hat and calls for an armoured car instead of a taxi]

Matthew Beddows

Reaction score
Nice article Neil, and some fantastic fish caught. Throop really is a special place. I fished itthe week before the 'hurricaine' hit on my annual holiday; in fact my last day was the day of the big storm,so was lucky i caught the conditions right for once. Had somegreat fish, and like you , i can't wait to get back.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Superb article Neil and thank you for introducing me to Throop, where I had my best catch ever.

No doubt I will be back there in the new season.....I still have a date with a 6lb chub/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Nigel(ACA ,SAA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

it is fair to say that beats 1 and particulary 3 are much less busier than beat 2, and that even beat 2 below the school bridge is less busier than above.</blockquote>

Very true Nigel, but I was very suprised that on the day I sat on the shedful of chub willing to feed, there were very few people about! River in good nick, nice and mild and yet I saw maybe 5 anglers all day!<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul Martin 5 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I hope to see you down Throop again soon.

Paul</blockquote>

Thank you, Paul, for the warm welcome I receivedfrom you, Cam and others. Excellent generous information and tips given without a second thought.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Bully wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

One question Neil, what is a "rather scruffy chub"??</blockquote>

It looked as though it had a close encounter with a pike some time ago! It was also very "empty".
IMG_1663641x202.jpg

I must say, though, the majority of chuband barbel are in superb condition and fighting fit. There are obviously some repeat captures with some fish becoming quite "well known" (not that I've made their acquaintance yet!), but even those are in great condition.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Jonny wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>See you on there in the summer, Neil!</blockquote>
That's an entirely different challenge! I can't imagine I'll be using double red maggot too often. On the other hand, just how big do the minnows and bullheads go??/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

Excellent report Neil.

There is something about that fishery that keeps pulling at me. No wherenear enough visits though.

Thanks for wetting my appetite,shame there are still 3 months to go!

/forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I keep saying it Fred, but I must get up to the Trent!

We should definately sort something out, I'll be your host on the Stour and you can reciprocate on the Trent.

We can both blank in style/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Specihunter

Reaction score
ill probably go when im in weymouth as i have the thames i find it hard to travel

Paul Martin 5

Reaction score
Give me a shout if any of you fancy a trip and I'll try my best to help you out.

Neil, don't go for the red maggot approach in the summer, you'll get plagued by dace, minnows and bullheads. Adopt a nicely banded on small pellet or two to help avoid the small fry.

Paul

Throop Bailiff

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Paul,

Up to what time can you fish at Throop over the summer period?...I'm looking to better my PB chub in the new season/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Paul Martin 5

Reaction score
Claudia, it all depends on the month you intend to fish. Club members and day ticket anglers are allowed to fish a maximum of two hours after sunset.

Sunset times are listed on the back of the RDAA membership book and vary from one month to the next.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

lovely article well done , i realy enjoyed it. And some awsome fish too.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Thanks Paul, I'm looking forward to fish Throop in the summer months, that if I can get a swim lol