A lazy Thames Swim

Laney

Reaction score
just proves what i say huh! our little island really is the best place on the planet! i spent my whole youth playing around on the thames and i have travelled the whole world but no where matches up in my eyes! great pic, makes me homesick!!!

ANDY SKI

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I know this swim it must be somewhere between London and Oxford

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

I pinged the boathouseswim two years ago and it is far shallower than I thoughtwhen Ifished it.Thedeepest part of it is 5 feet deep.

B

Bully

Somewhere between London and Oxford - that narrows it down a bit then!

W

Wolfman Woody

"Somewhere between London and Oxford - that narrows it down a bit then!"

I was just about to say that myself, Stuart. Only about 80 miles or so of river.

It's very, very, very private. Members only and only 14 of us. 5 weeks ago the water covered that entire scene and it still looks pretty crap now, but another 3 weeks and will be as green as anythin. Another ten yards upstream the dafs are out and they'd have been underwater as well. You can't stop nature.

Morespiders

Reaction score
If you mail me Bully i will tell you where it is. you cant miss it anyway it's the biggest lawn on the Thames.

captain carrott

Reaction score
It's not too deep all down that bit andy. but i was wrong with my first comment about where the original pic was.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"You can't stop nature"

Thank goodness.

That swim does look particularly lovely and reminiscent of so many that I used to fish on the Thames as a lad.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Looks perfect for some early season Thames roach, Jeff?/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

Well, for all you might think, it's a rather difficult swim.

There used to be a very big overhanging tree just downstream about ten years ago and if you let your stick float drift just under it there was always a big shoal of dace in there. They weren't that big, ½lb at most, but good fun all the same. The tree got uprooted in the 2000 floods and that was the end of the dace.

There's sometime a perch in that swim, but more often than not it's chub. Not enormously big, maybe 6½ - 7lbs, where I caught my 6lbs 12ozs one from. Lots of snags.

I swear that one day the Thames will find a shorter route between Sonning and Maidenhead (goodbye Henley Regatta) and after a couple of thousand years someone will be digging this area up and think they've discovered a lead mine./members/images/6812/Gallery/DSCF0078.JPG

It would be a great swim if some daft barmpot didn't keep standing in it. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"It would be a great swim if some daft barmpot didn't keep standing in it"

Ever tried fishing with him for a day and not see him in the water?

Honestly, the man is half human and half fish - I swear it!

"someone will be digging this area up and think they've discovered a lead mine."

Do you honestly expect us to believe that in times of drought Jeff that you are not down there 'discovering' all that lead?

Nope, don't believe that for a moment.

[insert HUGE daft smile thingie - - - - > HERE]

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

That picture brings back a few memories Jeff.Thanks.

..and barmpot isn't a word you hear often enough these days!

L

Laurie Harper

Lovely picture. Dear old Thames - every year I swim in it, fish in it, sail on it and ride my bike alongside it. Definitely my favourite river. Roll on summer.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Its been a funny old river for me.Bar a great evening spent a couple of seasons ago with Jeff whenI had some nice chub and barbel,I have never really got to grips with it elsewhere.This seasonI have had about 8 short night sessions on the middle river near Sonning from autumn through to winter and have only one small netter chub althoughI lost a better fish to a snag.

I will challenge it again in the summer with hopefully better results.It somehow draws you back as given its size you really never know whats lurking in your swim.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<div align="center">
Avon_015.jpg

Stop picking on Nigel, here he is and he's not in the river. Same picture his avatar was cropped from.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
"you really never know whats lurking in your swim"

Thats what I love about it. Its a huge river and on the whole I get the impression it isn't fished that much all things considered.

It's a long way from me and I don't get to fish it much although it's by far my favourite venue. Big fish of every species hiding in the depths and a stunning river aswell.