Billy Clarke - Missing Spool

Reaction score
Well I just received a new reel (shimano stradic) that I ordered on line from Billy Clarke tackle in Sheffiled.

I was disappointed to find that the spare spool was missing.

Let's see how they handle this one!

Reaction score
3000s £109 - normal price, but expensive with a missing spool!

Just had a reply as I write - they are sticking one in the post no questions asked.

I must say they have been very responsive/helpful to my emails enquiries the last couple of days.

I placed an order yesterday afternoon, it was shipped this morning and arrived just after lunch.

---------- Post added at 13:25 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

PS I was originally looking to buy a couple of spare spools, but at £22 each I thought what the hell and ordered the reel!

Reaction score
I'D RATHER PAY EXTRA TO SUPPORT AND FISHING TACKLE SHOP!

My local outdoors shop, Outdoor World is closing down after many years in business because Go Outdoors and Decathlon opened up near by and put them out of business.

Same will happen to tackle shops.

When it does no more maggots chaps!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm dealing with Billy Clarke at the moment. In fact I'm expecting a call from them. Hopefully my experience will be as good as yours.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They were very prompt and very helpful Sam.

I could have bought the reel cheaper at angling direct but there service is a farce in my experience - never again.

sam vimes

Reaction score
They were very prompt and very helpful Sam.

I could have bought the reel cheaper at angling direct but there service is a farce in my experience - never again.

Just goes to show that we all have different experiences. I've dealt with Angling Direct (via ebay and direct on their website) on numerous occasions. I've always had good experiences and picked up some bargains to boot. You aren't the first I've heard suggest they've had bad experiences with them though. Similar to me having a bad experience with a place that seems to receive wall to wall praise. I try to avoid using them after my experiences but I wouldn't dare to name them because folks will give me grief.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
I had a minor breakdown on one of my Shimanoo 6010 Gts this summer. I knew the problem as it had happened before (Modern reels - tut tut) I rang Billys son at the shop to ask if they had the parts required to do the repair. They had and it was at my house the following day in the post and from breakdown to back on the bank took about forty eight hours! first class service, top shop!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been using Billy's for over 17 years!
I have bought most of my main tackle from him and have allways had superb service, the staff that work for him are also great and are allways willing to help with tackle choice and fishing tips :)
The shop is allways a great place to visit and has the most amazing selection of tackle you will ever see in a shop of this size...and everything is clean and tidy!
Billy Clarkes as been a family business since 1918 and was started by Billy's Granddad, his son is now helping run the shop ready to take over. If you ever want ANYTHING Shimano or Daiwa then this is the place to go (or call) you will ALLWAYS get great service and advise!
I myself have allways been bound over by the nice people that run this shop ever since my first visit all those years ago and I still get great pleasure buying from them, and allways will.
They are the only tackle shop left in Sheffield city centre (there used to be 100s, yes, it's true) and for good reason :)

PS: I am not in anyway sponsored by this company, I just think credit where credits due!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'D RATHER PAY EXTRA TO SUPPORT AND FISHING TACKLE SHOP!

My local outdoors shop, Outdoor World is closing down after many years in business because Go Outdoors and Decathlon opened up near by and put them out of business.

Same will happen to tackle shops.

When it does no more maggots chaps!

I cannot get my head round why these large outdoor chains are doing so well one of them (Decathlon) just sell cheap nasty rubbish (sorry, just my view) and the other, well, just sells cheap nasty rubbish, allthough they do sell a few good brands too! These types of out door shop are also very impersonal and the staff usually have no knowledge of the outdoor trade or outdoor skills/safety!

---------- Post added at 06:13 ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 ----------

Its nice to see Billy Clarkes is holding their own against the new boy in town, FISHING REPUBLIC, who, in my mind are not a PROPER tackle shop and never will be!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I cannot get my head round why these large outdoor chains are doing so well one of them (Decathlon) just sell cheap nasty rubbish (sorry, just my view) and the other, well, just sells cheap nasty rubbish, allthough they do sell a few good brands too! These types of out door shop are also very impersonal and the staff usually have no knowledge of the outdoor trade or outdoor skills/safety!

Its nice to see Billy Clarkes is holding their own against the new boy in town, FISHING REPUBLIC, who, in my mind are not a PROPER tackle shop and never will be!

The main reason they do well is price, Go-Outdoors offer to beat the best price, shop or on line and then knock off another 10%. I used them recently for some fishing clothing which I couldn't source locally, they beat the best online price, knocked 10% off and swallowed the postage.

I do agree with Matt on this however and buy from a local shop whenever I can.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

Hi Mark
not disagreeing with you - I've never shopped at Fishing Republic just wonder why yuo don't think they are a proper fishing shop?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Mark
not disagreeing with you - I've never shopped at Fishing Republic just wonder why yuo don't think they are a proper fishing shop?

Hi Paul,
well, to me this type of retail company are only interested in making a fast buck and they do not really care about the customer as long as they spend money! The staff don't really give a dam whether you are an angler or not!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't even know where about's in Sheffield they are but a friend of mine bought a few bits from them and he said that he will not be going again...enough said!

Reaction score
Well back in work today (off Monday) and the missing spool was sat waiting for me on my desk.

I will be using Billy Clarke's again - great service so far.

Also, check out this site for floats - I ordered a shed load on Friday and they arrived yesterday all packed nicely in a tube

Premier Floats

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Matt,
If you are ever in Sheffield Billies is worth a visit, he has a mind blowing array of Tackle on display! when you enter the shop you will be blown away with the selection of reels in the cabinets and the vast selection of rods all neatly arranged in rack upon rack! its like an Aladdin's cave of fishy goodies...and to top it off the staff are all nice chaps!!

Took a look at prem floats, I am very tempted indeed :)