Rods Choice?? Help

snapey

Reaction score
Im looking to start specimen fishing for barbel, carp etc..
Basically i will be using 12lb line mainly using leads, floats and different methods.
Rods ive been looking at are -
Greys VX Prodigy Barbel 2lb
Daiwa Theory Barbel 2.25lb
Greys Stalker Rod 2.25lb

Which rod would suit my application best? Has anyone any advice or reviews on these rods?

Cheers

fruitowl

Reaction score
just to throw a spanner in the works i recently aquired a wychwood signature barble rod have caught a few barble on it has a nice action like you i use 12 lb mainline but always a weaker hook link.
the rod is great for the job. :eek:mg:

Keith M

Reaction score
I have a 1.7lb Greys Prodigy Barbel rod and a 1.5lb/2lb Prodigy multi-tip specimen rod which covers most of my options from decent Roach right through to large Barbel and large Carp at close to medium range using reel lines between around 3lb up to over 14lb.

I also recomend getting a good float rod which will cope with trotting for Barbel, Chub etc.
I usually use a Drennan Tench rod or a Hardy 15ft float rod.

If I could only afford to buy one rod I think it would either be my Prodigy Multi-tip or my Prodigy Barbel rod (avon/quiver) as both of these give the angler a great choice of line strengths and methods to choose from

snapey

Reaction score
I have a decent float rod which I will use for trotting on rivers, but am after a specimen heavier rod.
Which prodigy barbel do you have the TX or VX?
Does the prodigy specimen come with quiver tips like the barbel do you know?

Keith M

Reaction score
I have two Greys multi-tip specimen rods; an older one (before the VX and TX models came out) and a newer VX model; both of these rods come with two avon type tip sections (1.5lb & 2lb)

My Greys Prodigy 1.7lb Barbel rod comes with a 1.7lb avon type tip section plus a quiver tip section with 3 interchangable quivertips, and was also bought before the VX & TX models came out.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Not sure about the exact models you quote, but I have a pair of Greys Prdigy Barbel rods (1.5lb TC), they are fanstastic rods with a superb action, undergunned for fishing in floodwaters perhaps, so probably a little light for carp, but your 2lb TC Greys sounds like the one I would look very closely at.