Difficulty tying hair rig loops?

laguna

Reaction score
Tying a overhand knot to form a tiny loop on the tag end of a hair rig can be a little tricky, especially for those who have dexterity problems, impaired vision, MS sufferers etc.

Would you say tying a loop on the hair is the most difficult aspect of making up hair rigs?

There are tools and alternatives to help so what if any of these do you use?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I find tying small near loops a bit of a pain so I use one of these.
images

Cheap as chips [£1.50] and does the job.

guest61

Reaction score
I don't bother with attempting a tiny loop; I tie a large loop in the hair material and 'hitch' it to the hook. (This sounds more complex than it is) I slide the bait on and fit the stop as usual. If I want the hair to come off a particular part of the hook I use a bit of silicone over the hook - works for me.

I'm sure if all we wish hard enough Korda will invent something to help us do this, just to give us an 'edge' on pressurised day ticket waters that we all fish :rolleyes:

Last edited:

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I use the same as Skippy, excellent little tool (not skippy) :D

Ties perfect loops every time, you can form a larger loop and then us the Seymo Loop Tyer to shorten it right down until it tightens.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can't say as I've ever had a problem, despite having rheumatoid arthritis for the last 15 years. I do occasionally use a baiting hook to pull the loop through though.

cg74

Reaction score
Tying a loop at the end of your hair is made easy by; threading the line through a bait band, loop the line back on itself and tie a loop using a simple overhand knot, then just cut the band off.

What gets hard when you have poor dexterity is tying the knotless knot, especially gripping the hook and whipped line on the shank, whilst trying to feed the line back through the hook eye.

Oh yeah, albright knots are right **** when tying combi-rigs.

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
I tie the loop as though it is going to be and once it is formed I put a knot picker (Korum quick stop needle) into the knot to stop it from closing and then fine the loop down to the required size.

robthomo

Reaction score
What if the loop was done away with altogether, would that appeal to anglers?

It's been done in various guises hasn't it, the Korum stop comes to mind

Personally I find tying loops dead easy I just tie a simple granny knot using a baiting needle to pull the loop through and also tighten down to if need be and then another granny knot to lock it

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't use a special tool but simply employ a disgorger and a knot picker needle.

You make your loop as normal, then make the overhand knot.

Then you place the disgorger into the loop end and the needle into the loop formed by the overhand knot.

Tighten by helping the overhand knot get tight againt the disgorger and then remover the needle for final tightening.

Sounds complicated but it is so simple in practice.

By varying the diameter of the 'tool' that you use in the main loop you can tie all of your loops and thereby hooklengths and/or pole rigs to the exact same size . . . . . squeeks . . simples!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've been using bthe korum quick stop for a about 3 years but for heavy bs line I still tie the loop knot - tied a few braided short hook lengths up last week and didn't have much difficulty but would be intrested in any new gizmo

agamemnon

Reaction score
am i looking at this wrong?
i get a length of braid and then before i do anything i fold one end over and tie a loop. i dont really care how big the loop is at this point as long as its not more than an inch long its fine. i then use knotless knot to fix the hook in place and feed a small length of silicon over the free end of the braid and run it down the shank of the hook so i can hold the hair in whatever position and bobs your uncle on quick tied hair rig

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's basically what I do as well. The loop is hidden inside the bait so who cares how big it is so long as the bait covers it.

laguna

Reaction score
I've been using bthe korum quick stop for a about 3 years but for heavy bs line I still tie the loop knot - tied a few braided short hook lengths up last week and didn't have much difficulty but would be intrested in any new gizmo

Agree Paul, the quick stop is arguably the best out there (at the moment) :rolleyes:

Product announcement on FM imminent...

A

alan whittington

I've been lucky,i've always been able to tie 6-8mm loops in most materials(which i learnt to tie in the dark in my younger days,i doubt i could do it now,but it helped),including 12lb fluorocarbon,braid i find simple,very rarely do i have problems,mostly in the tightening stage,when care needs to be taken.I must say i'd rather have a small neat loop on the hair than a large one,but thats just me.