best food on the bank

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
What do you think is the best food you've eaten cooked on the bank

On the Trent a couple of years back corky cooked lamb marinated in garlic and rosemary with cuscus
He had prepared the lamb before hand

Windy

Reaction score
corky cooked lamb marinated in garlic
He had prepared the lamb before hand

Taking the poor wee beastie on one side and telling it that it was lucky to have won a sunbed session before firing up the barbeque is not what I call proper preparation

---------- Post added at 23:05 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

And the votes are still out there for my legendary cassoulet aka pork 'n beans v. Steve K's equally (but second placed :wh) legendary chilli...

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Anything you can also use as change bait - saves you eating your bait if you get desperate , Cheese and red pepper sarnie , you can pinch bits off and fish them !

bennygesserit

Reaction score
seriously is it only me that considers eating their bait ? I suffer from a condition known as greedy b******d that unopened can of spam gets to look pretty tempting about 2 O Clock

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love my food flask:)
My favourite one pot (flask then) is Chorizo with potato, canallini beans, chilli, tomato, garlic, smoked paprika, parsley and sherry vinegar...too bloody good for the fish :)

Philip

Reaction score
For bivvy sessions, after allot of contemplation and trials & taking all things into account such as preparation, taste, health aspect (-yes-) and how much to carry and wash up after ... I have concluded that its pasta with pesto and salad in the evening and Porridge with honey in the morning.

Pasta should be those stuffed fresh Tortellini ones in that come in the transparent plastic trays with the peel off top in the supermarket Refrigerated section and a jar of Pesto sauce. Salad is the prepacked pre-washed ones. Porridge is simply dry porridge oats, a small sqeezy bottle of Honey and some milk. You will also need 1 pot, 1 fork and of course a stove and some water.

Now heat your water till it boils then tip the Pasta into it and cook for 5mins. Stir with your eating fork. The now empty plastic pasta tray can house the fork to keep it clean when your not stirring. After 5 mins drain the pasta. Use the fork held against the pot to drain , dont use a separate draining utensil (less washing up after).
Now open your pesto sauce jar and pour some pesto over the cooked pasta in the cooking pot. Stir it with your fork till its all nicely covered. Open your packet of ready washed Salad and sprinkle a good handful over your pasta. You could add some ready grated Parmesan at this point if you wish.

Eat direct from the cooking pot placed onto the transparent pasta tray on your knees. The tray stops your legs getting scalded. by the pots still hot underside.

Following eating you now have just 1 pot and 1 fork to wash. Keep the plastic tray.

The following morning pour some porridge oats into the same (washed) pot. Add some milk. Heat for 3 or 4 mins and stir with the same fork as the night before. When the Porridge is cooked to a fairly stiff consistency, add a glug of Honey and stir round. Eat from the cooking pot placed once again on the plastic pasta tray from the night before. Eat with the fork (this is the reason why you made the Porridge fairly stiff...) Once again following eating you have just 1pot and 1 fork to wash.

For longer sessions the fresh pasta can be substituted for dry stuffed pasta and the salad can be substituted for small Cherry tomatoes. Reason why its got to be small Cherry tomatoes is because then you can eat them individually without having to slice them thus saving on the washing up of 1 knife after.

Pasta and Porridge - Hot, tasty, healthy, minimum preparation and little to wash up after....you know it makes sense ;-)

Last edited:

simon dunbar

Reaction score
Bacon butties, fried on my little stove , best tasting bacon butties ever.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
for bivvy sessions then a proper full English Breakfast takes a lot of beating.

I bought one of those Cobb BBQ's a few years ago having heard of Greg's famous roast lamb Sunday lunches, and since then have been copying those complete with roast vegetables and even a red wine sauce all cooked in the same 'pot'

They are not cheap but they open up a myriad of possibilities at the bankside.

Take a look for yourselves:

Cobb GB

You can easily cook up just about every meal in the day on one of these butyou still need a decent gas burner for the coffee and tea brewing . . . . . .