Method/Spod Mixes

BASSETT

Reaction score
can any body reccomend a simple and effective method or spod mix. preferably one that won't break the bank. also which method would be better at this time of year

A method Feeder OR Spodding

please can you help me

thanks

Bassett!!

B

Bully

You could try scalded ewe nuts (nee CSL pellets). You can get a 25kg bag for less than a tenner from farm supplies. Makes a cracking cheap method mix. Could sprinkle in cooked hemp (again from farm shops).

25 kg bag will last for ages.....

Re spodding - I tend to use this only when I want quite a bit of bait out, otherwise I'll just fish to features using method feeders.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Bassett,

Your approach to modern Carp fishing is far more about:

Stocking density,
Age of the venue,
Make-up of the fish population,
How many rod-hours are expended on the venue?
How many rod-hours you can spend on the venue?
Volume and type of bait that goes into the venue?

And many more criteria besides than the difference between a 'cheap' spodding mix versus the method feeder.

As a general rule of thumb, good quality bait will succeed more often than cheaper alternatives.

Personally, I'd rather spend fewer days/hours on a venue than more of both with cheaper baits.

Mike Smith 7

Reaction score
Try soaking trout pellets in boiling water for 24 hrs,then push through a maggot riddle. In detail :- put pellets in a buucket with a airtight lid,pour in boiling water to 1/2 inch of top of pellets,stir & put lid on a leave for 24 hours. To improve put in 1/2 bag of green swim stim @ before the boiling water.

Mike

Specihunter

Reaction score
see if your tackle shop sells ready cooked mixed particles not the brands but there own .

BASSETT

Reaction score
Mike

is that a mix for the method feeder or for the spod

but nice and simple thanks for the advice

Bassett!!

thanks for all of the help

F

Frothey

could be either - whats the difference between balling out a load of bait or spodding it out anyway?

Mike Smith 7

Reaction score
Hi Basset.

It's a method mix ! But beware bream & tench also love it. If you want it'll hold loads of particles,dead maggots,casters etc.

Good luck

BASSETT

Reaction score
sounds good to me

will give it a go when the weather warms up, as i'm not too keen on pellets at this time of year

thanks any way

Bassett!!

Bob Bone 2

Reaction score
How about vitalin, few tins of corn some hemp and a tin of coconut milk add some micro pellets and what ever else like chopped boilies ,maggots, tiger nuts.

monty

Reaction score
Agree with Bob,vitalin mix it with hot water into which you add liquid molasses when ithas cooled and absorbed all the liquid, blitz it with a drill and a whisk.It will break up and be ideal for what you are looking for.For spodding you do'nt have to blitz it.

BASSETT

Reaction score
i used to be able to get Vitalin from morrisons and use that, but my local super markets have stopped selling it, that's why i've posted this question, and can only get massive 15KG bags from the pet shop, so i've sort of given up on that.

but thanks anyway

Bassett!!

monty

Reaction score
Some pet shops sellby weight so you may be able to purchase just the amount you need.But if you are looking to doing any amount of spodding you will soon get through a load and buying a full bag of Vitalin will be the cheaper option.

STEVE PARSONS 2

Reaction score
For spod mixes try using Hemp Small Pellett Sweet Corn Pearl Barley Chop up Bollies and use a good ground bate for binding at a small amount of liquid Mollases allow the mix to stand for about 2 hours before using

Reaction score
Agree with the scalded pellets, but use halibuts and scald them just before I go fishing. Cover them with boiling water and take some green swim stim groundbait with me to make sure I get the correct texture on the bank. A handful of hemp, corn and a dollop of salmon oil for the summer helps too!