Cralusso Bolo Floats

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Sam Vimes mentioned this method in a current thread so, how do you fish with them and under what conditions and circumstances?
In which ways are they better than other floats ? (at around a fiver each they make my Dave Harrell floats sound cheap)

guest61

Reaction score
Sam Vimes mentioned this method in a current thread so, how do you fish with them and under what conditions and circumstances?
In which ways are they better than other floats ? (at around a fiver each they make my Dave Harrell floats sound cheap)

In my experience they are excellent, they provide the option of 'holding back' - temporarily stopping your end tackle in running water, without the float coming into your bank. As with other styles of bolo fishing they are typically suited to fishing several rod lengths out in running water over bait, you really need an upstream wind to maintain proper control with both standard 'bolo' and Cralusso floats.

If you look at continental float catalogues you wil see a wide range of 'bolo' floats for many conditions other than the beefed up shouldered stick floats which we see in the UK and are termed 'bolo'.

There are some videos from Cralusso on Youtube which may be of interest.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The advantage of the Cralusso Bolo floats is that you can fish them further out, including holding back hard, without them coming back inside. They also have a vane type sight tip which means I can fish them at greater distance while still seeing bites.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
These floats seem to be available in some serious sizes (up to 15g) I don't have any floats bigger than 5g so what sort of size is preferable for the Wye or Severn and would you use the "smaller" 3g floats for Salwarpe or Teme?

Also, any special shotting patterns?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can't comment on specific rivers that I've never fished or seen.
I use them in fairly deep steady water, five feet deep and more. The deeper the water the bigger the float. However, I rarely use anything bigger than 10g.
As for shotting patterns. A single dropper (Size 8 or smaller) on the hooklink. Single olivette about half to two thirds of the float rating just above the hooklink. Single shot just below the float as a depth marker, usually at whatever the size required to properly cock the float.

Nothing complicated for shotting patterns, just play with the depth setting, line (as in distance from the bank) and downstream distance until you find the fish. When you do, chances are that bites will come fairly regularly in pretty much the same location.

guest61

Reaction score
These floats seem to be available in some serious sizes (up to 15g) I don't have any floats bigger than 5g so what sort of size is preferable for the Wye or Severn and would you use the "smaller" 3g floats for Salwarpe or Teme?
Also, any special shotting patterns?

I have experimented with these floats in 'shallow' 3ft ish swims and had problems; in deeper water the floats are far more stable.

In terms of float size, sorry I can't help, as I don't fish the rivers that you mention, these floats were developed for fishing big European rivers and so would be suited to fishing when there is a bit of water pushing though.

With all floats as long as you have it correctly shotted, the weight that it carries can be 'discounted', you can use 15g without issue, getting the bait down to where you're fishing and maintaining control is what you're trying to achieve, if it suits, you can also 'overshot' the float when holding it back creating a very sensitive rig.

http://http://youtu.be/v0epiuooOWQ Its in a foreign language but it looks like he's on the Itchen.

If you are thinking about buyng one or two Cralusso floats, buy a couple in the sizes that you are familiar with and fish with them, as long as you're not fighting the conditions you should have success.

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Its in a foreign language but it looks like he's on the Itchen

Must be one of the top beats BR and it was pushing through a lot quicker when we had the "fish-in" in March. Thanks to you and Sam for the advice, I'm looking to try to buy locally but seems it's either Ted Carter or Matchman, even Fosters and Mal Storey don't stock them!