TFG / TF Gear V8 8000 Fixed Spool Reel for beach fishing?

bigperca1

Reaction score
can anyone tell me if the TFG V8 big pit reel is up to the task of beach fishing? I have one already and have been using it for carping and want to avoid buying another for saltwater use.

if this reel is no good then I was considering getting either a Shakespeare Salt XDS 080 or an Okuma Axeon big pit.

Last edited:

paul80

Reaction score
Hi

As all these big pit type reels started life a surf reels I am sure you will find it will work fine used on the beach.

Paul

dezza

Reaction score
As all these big pit type reels started life a surf reels I am sure you will find it will work fine used on the beach.

The term "Big Pit" is a misnomer, applied to these reels by English carp anglers. Virtually all extremely wide spool large diameter fixed spool casting reels were designed in America to compete at long distance shore fishing with multiplying reels and make distance casting possible for less skilled anglers.

If the reel is not recommended for saltwater work, don't use it.

But give the reel a good wash off under the tap after use in salt water.

bigperca1

Reaction score
I emailed TFG yesterday and they replied today saying its fine for saltwater as long as it is rinsed off each time. i would rinse any reel off whether or not designed for saltwater.

bigperca1

Reaction score
In the end i decided to play it safe and went for the Salt XDS 080. The TFG V8 casts really well but it just looks a little too "delicate" for the beach!