best rig 4 canal carping

R

Roto Fryer

whatever you are comfortable with/forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
There is no one rig that works every where first we must understand what the bottom of the canal is like, Silty , weedy, sandy or sloping once we know that then we can start fine tuning our lead system. The what colour do we think the bottom might be so we might be able to try and disguise our lead system and hook lenghts. Bait next what type and size this helps us choose our hook size bottom or pop up baits all need to be cosidered. Finally if the swim is open or snaggy this will also have an influence on the hooksize to small and you could easily pull out of a carp to big and the carp may reject your rig.

Questions questions sorry mate but no one said it would be easy.

Tight Lines Ian G

R

Roto Fryer

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

R

Roto Fryer

my first answer stands.

let people learn to think for themselves don't do it for them

Wooly

Reaction score
When fishing the GU at Milton Keynes I found very short inline rigs worked well. A lot of rigs used to tangle very easily when underarming out to the far bank. In the end I settled for using PVA bags, used to be a nightmare because I always wanted it a few inches away from wherever it landed, underarming a PVA bag used to be a very frustrating task at 2 in the morning by torchlight.

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Use an old roach pole and ship the rig out, much easier than trying to cast within inches of the far bank rushes etc just so long as the club permits it that is as some see it as an additional rod i believe

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Roto Fryer wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif</blockquote>
In the true nature of FM let them learn it themselves !. What a very positive statement that is making to people who are genuingly trying to improve there fishing.

Andyw

Reaction score
Well.. i'd be nowhere without all the help and advice I have recieved from people on here.... Plus all the reading of books n mags and watching tv n dvd's...

I've done plenty to help myself but we all need extra help sometimes, unless we are sooooooo arrogant we don't need any!!!

Hence I am really looking forward to the Teach In... but obviously to some people it shouldn't be happening at all!!!

R

Roto Fryer

there is a difference between pointing someone in the right direction and doing it all for them. do you want to be a thinking angler or one that needs to be told everything? all the information you require is on this site without you having to be told exactly what to do. my original answer was correct; use what you are comfortable with. one also assumes that you have taken the bottom conditions etc into consideration before becoming comfortable.

on this site there is a rigs section. it would be wise to read it. after that it is trial and error exactly the same as on a lake. the real answer here is for you to fish to the conditions rather than the place.

I

Ian Cloke

Roto, I must agree with you, and your first post, especially as the topic poster can't even be bothered to tell us what the conditions are like on the stretch he wants to fish...

Andyw

Reaction score
I understand, but if he is a new angler he has no knowledge base to work from, you could spout all kinds of terminology at him and he maybe wouldn't understand?

My own personal experience is that as time has gone on, I've been fishing a few seasons now, I have asked more blatant questions and courted opinion rather than answers... When I was wet behind my ears I really didn't have clue, so I was asking "Tell me how to do it?" now I'm more inclined to try for myself and ask "Why didn't it work?"

"Whatever you feel comfortable with" doesn't really help if someone has zero knowledge, it comes across more as something else!! After all why bother posting then if yr not gonna be helpful??

I

Ian Cloke

Andy, if a person wants to know something, then they can browse in the relevant section, or they can ask a question relating to their question, giving a few details. The original poster has not given any details of the venue they want to fish, canals vary dramatically all over the country, dept(width,depth, bottom etc..)plus the original poster hasn't even suggested a bait, so it would be pointless suggesting a specific rig, as it may not be suitable for the venue.

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

mmmm sounds similar to a scenario a few months ago when a pike angler asked for information and was told to get a map and look at the blue bits.

some people help, some dont.

thats their choice, just as it is a choice to take their info or not.

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

Yep such is life Andy, anyway I think mr crayfish is getting the same question answered on a couple of different threads, if I could id PM him with some info too.

Andyw

Reaction score
I'm off fishing in a bit.. gonna hit the GU canal till late tonight!!

P*ssed the wife off, but hey gotta take yr chances when ya can!!