How do you tie

paul80

Reaction score
Hi guys

How do you tie a knot in you line without weekening it.

I have seen a number of feeder rigs where the feeder is running on a loop in the line with a few more loops tied in the hook length to stiffen it.

What knot do you use to tie the loops, that does not weaken the line.

Thanks

Paul

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Any knot tied in a line will weaken it.

The rig that you are describing sounds like the loop feeder rig that many people dislike as it is deemed to be a "tether rig" - the usual method employed being a simple overhand knot, tied several times to create a sort of 'paternoster' type of hooklength loop.

paul80

Reaction score
Thanks Peter

Does the overhand knot not :) weaken the line.

Paul

ravey

Reaction score
I know a couple of knots which don't weaken the line at all; I may get the odd one of the two which will break at the knot, but plenty that don't, if that makes sense.

sagalout

Reaction score
The figure of eight knot is supposed to be good for loops in line with minimal loss of line strength.

paul80

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, How do you tie a figure of eight knot in a loop that has a feeder already on it, I was thinking maybe a two or three turn water knot might work.

Paul

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, How do you tie a figure of eight knot in a loop that has a feeder already on it, I was thinking maybe a two or three turn water knot might work.

Paul

You don't, you put a link swivel on it and then attach the feeder after tying the knots.

PS look out for a new Mono from Kryston - a figure of 8 knot makes the BS a few pounds stronger....

paul80

Reaction score
You don't, you put a link swivel on it and then attach the feeder after tying the knots.

PS look out for a new Mono from Kryston - a figure of 8 knot makes the BS a few pounds stronger....

Dough

Thanks, its was so obvious it flew right over my head.

Paul

dalthegooner

Reaction score
There's a great article about tying knots HERE, which includes a fantastic (and better) alternative to the figure of eight knot.

aebitim

Reaction score
When using a loop rig it is necessary to use a hooklength, if the hooklength is of a lighter breaking strain than the mainline then it doesnt matter about a weakened mainline, in fact the knot breaking first can be a positive as hopefully it will break first in a crackoff or snag situation releasing the feeder and removing the tether situation.