barbed baiting needles

laguna

Reaction score
The barbed baiting needle is useful, possibly even essential you might say, but do you think they are the best solution for baiting up?

I must confess I have seen these things pushed through fingers and it is not a pretty sight!

andy+finger.JPG

The trouble is, unless you use pre-drilled there is always the possibility of a thin baiting needle going wayward when forced through a bait into your finger - no matter how careful you think you are!

Bluenose

Reaction score
Drennan do one which has a barb but it is a more smooth and rounded barb, and not as sharp at the pointy end as some.

laguna

Reaction score
Drennan do one which has a barb but it is a more smooth and rounded barb, and not as sharp at the pointy end as some.

I have one in my box which is thicker and therefore stronger (with a blunt rounded end) which requires more force to push through the bait and is prone to split the harder type of boilies.

The argument being; would a blunt needle be even more dangerous to use, same scenario that of a blunt or sharp knife/tool is more liable to accidents?

Some of the cheaper ones are just too thin and prone to bend and shoot off on a tangent with the least bit of resistance encountered from an embedded particle. Best use these ones with corn and soft hookers perhaps or with pre-drilled.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Go in a knitting shop and get the finest crochet hooks you can get, then carefully grind the taper off, been using them for years, dont like shop baiting needles, horrible things

guest61

Reaction score
We really need someone to invent and market the solution to this evil...

murv

Reaction score
Not sure what mine is, but it has a domed end, not a point.
It glides easily through soft baits, and if I want to use something firmer, I just drill it first.

That picture looks bloody painful!

laguna

Reaction score
We really need someone to invent and market the solution to this evil...

You mean like get rid of these awful barbed things altogether Mr Rocket?
But surely if that was possible, what are we to do with the loop?
Maybe there would be no need for it...

Watch out for Octobers competition (mystery bonus) prizes :wh

Reaction score
hmmm.....I wondered where this was going.

Similar to a recent thread by laguna on the 'difficulty' of tying a loop for a hair....

Marketing manipulation if ever I saw it.

Something to do with the splitstop by any chance?

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

Looks a good idea

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

what when another feeble entry wins above my 101 side splitting attempts :wh:D:eek:

guest61

Reaction score

You've been in your inventing shed again haven't you?

If I'm honest I've never had a problem with barbed baiting needles, I use them for soft baits and stick a cork ball over the sharp end when not in use - I don't really have any issues tying loops either.

If you're looking for something to invent could you invent something like a tripod adaptor that takes standard BSF threaded bank sticks and accepts a baitwaiter screwed into the top, so that my bait and other assorted stuff doesn't tip over when I'm fishing where I can't get a bank stick in.

After this could you invent a rod rest adaptor to fit the above, that was stable enough to take a long rod - something like a Spectron at 20ft.

laguna

Reaction score
Chris (Laguna), how do you get your bait on a hair rig without a baiting needle and in the absense of a loop on the hair?

If I were to eradicate the fiddly(ish) to tie loop, the necessity to use a baiting needle and bait stops; I'd opt for this rig:
Hair-rigging pellets using the lasso method

It does sound ridiculous doesn't it Colin but its only an option, a useful feature and a quicker/safer hook bait change method ...
http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/general-fishing/319632-new-product-under-3-a.html#post1180815