angler takes EA to court

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
an angler has got a summons issued against the EA for loss of amenity, due to illegally moored boats, the case has yet to make it before the beak

wot do you reckon folks, a good move or not ?

richiekelly

Reaction score
If the boats are moored illegaly they should be moved but if the case gets to court it will be defended by some legal eagle paid for by our rod licence money.

thx1138

Reaction score
If the boats are moored illegaly they should be moved but if the case gets to court it will be defended by some legal eagle paid for by our rod licence money.

sounds like it's a navigation issue, in which case, nothing to do with fisheries and not funded by rod licence income

Bluenose

Reaction score
Was it the EA who parked the boats?

Do you park boats or moor them?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
If that's what it takes to spur can't-be-arrzed authorities into doing their jobs then good luck to him.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The match lads around here in the 80's had a problem with a river tour boat which would plough through the match length all day as close to the bank as he could get.
After a summer of this they took it upon themselves to shorten the mooring chain one autumn night when a flood was forecast. The result was the river came up, the boat went down, end of problem.

richiekelly

Reaction score
sounds like it's a navigation issue, in which case, nothing to do with fisheries and not funded by rod licence income

neither is the building of hydro plants but its being used for that, do you work for the EA ?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
neither is the building of hydro plants but its being used for that, do you work for the EA ?

Oooh I hope so , what a fantatic insight we might get although of course commenting on your workplace on a forum can be a bit of a no no.

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
a few more details folks
these illegally moored boats, refered to by some as the scroat boats, first came to the authorities attention in 2008, numerous organisations and councils have been inept in dealing with the problem
the EA have been negligent in their issuance of licenses under the relevant 1995 act, section 17, this has resulted in a loss of amenity for anglers

in a nutshell, after 4 years you now have over 40 vessels moored illegally, their waste and ablutions are presumably dumped in the river, the banks are littered with any number of restoration materials, and two barges, converted on site for habitation, are used as cheap overnight accomodation, various police raids have resulted in arrests for drug dealing and firearm possession, and lest not forget they pay no council tax

if you're living in a metal can because you are down trodden in life, then some sympathy is fair enough, but if you work in the city, wear a suit, drive a new german car, mow the grass and apply dog detterent chemicals adjacent to your illegal mooring, then you are poncing of society, and the authorites should deal wiv 'em, not an individual angler

Rich P

Reaction score

None of the hydro plants being built around here (one in progress and one in the pipeline) are using EA money, though the EA have approved them. I digress but the bl**dy things are a waste of money, unsightly, and a detriment to the environment (ironically). They've been built with money from (misguided and ill-informed) private investors.

Again, apologies for going off topic. :)

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
it may be of topic, but its all spokes in the same wheel
if you dont like'em do wot someone has done down'ere, affixed A4 laminated signs to posts and trees adjacent to the location, and erected a 15ft x 3ft banner on the weir, exclaiming their negatives
if I understand correctly, the misguided and ill informed investors are conning the local communities into pressurizing their local councils to approve'em, its a long game where supplying plans seems to ensure ownership of the license

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
what I want to know is, do owners of vessels used for accommodation pay council tax? The other day I was talking to a lady on her narrow boat on the Leeds and Liverpool and she told me in conversation that she paid council tax, is she pulling my pissa?

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
I fink, if anyone is resident within a borough for a set period of time, they are liable, I was told second/third hand its 3 months, and then someone else said 3 weeks

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"I fink, if anyone is resident within a borough for a set period of time, they are liable, I was told second/third hand its 3 months, and then someone else said 3 weeks "

Council Tax is levied on 'properties' and certainly not on individuals, so it matters not if one is 'resident for a period of time' but wholly upon 'where' that residence takes place.

Examples of the types of 'residence' that may be exempt include, but are not limited to:

A property which is empty. This means it has to be unoccupied. The property also has to be substantially unfurnished. The exemption applies for a maximum of six months and the property has to be vacant for the whole of this period (although up to six weeks of occupation during the period is allowed)

A property which is vacant because it needs major repairs or alterations to make it habitable. The exemption applies for a maximum of 12 months whether the work is actually finished or not by then
condemned property

A property which has been legally re-possessed by a mortgage lender
property unoccupied because the person who lived there now lives elsewhere because they need to be cared for, for example, in hospital, in a care home or with relatives

A property which is unoccupied because the person who lived there has gone to care for someone else

Any property that only students or Foreign Language Assistants on the official British Council programme live in. This may be a hall of residence, or a house. If the property is occupied by both students and non-students the property is not exempt

A caravan or boat which is used as a main residence but which is unoccupied. This exemption lasts for up to six months.
A holiday caravan or boat is exempt if it's on a property where council tax is paid

A property where all the people who live in it are aged under 18

A property which is occupied only by people with severe mental impairment

A self-contained ‘granny flat’ where the person who lives in it is a dependent relative of the owner of the main property.

source: Council tax

Hope this clarifies.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
affixed A4 laminated signs to posts and trees adjacent to the location, and erected a 15ft x 3ft banner on the weir, exclaiming their negatives
The banner was a nice gesture, Jim, funny even at the time, but how long did it last before being removed and burnt (probably) and what effect in terms of a result did it secure? Are the proposed Hydro plans it was meant to get rejected still going ahead - YES! Did the banner even delay matters - NO!

Same with the A4 posters, if someone catches you (if it is you, but you like taking credit on occasions) doing it you can be fined for fly-posting. If so then you are the loser, again, and the company you aim it at still carries on with even firmer determination.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The banner was a nice gesture, Jim, funny even at the time, but how long did it last before being removed and burnt (probably) and what effect in terms of a result did it secure? Are the proposed Hydro plans it was meant to get rejected still going ahead - YES! Did the banner even delay matters - NO!

Same with the A4 posters, if someone catches you (if it is you, but you like taking credit on occasions) doing it you can be fined for fly-posting. If so then you are the loser, again, and the company you aim it at still carries on with even firmer determination.

What effect? Well i'm very sure it educated local people to an alternate point of view that they were probably not aware of. Good on you Jim! A journey of 1000 miles starts with one small step and all that...

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
jeff
I have attended hydro power meetings, conversed with their reps and engineers on site, had dealings with ATr and EA reps, had letters published in the angling press and local papers, affixed signs and a banner at proposed sites etc etc
what effect ?
the only effect that I am aware of, is that ham hydro have been carrying out samplings in teddington weir, you may want to respond by saying that is due to angling club pressure, and that may be the case, but I started the angling club
anyways it aint for me judge, that is for my local community to judge

I willingly invest my time and my money in these activities, if these investments create an opinion within myself, I make no apologies for it

when explaining my opinions I call upon my own activities to underline the reasoning, this is not because of the big 'I am', it is to prove what can be done, if you doubt my explanation check out the photo galleries within the TAC, I think you'll concur that I am for the most part absent
I am not afraid of the beak, or the admiralty law that he enforces, although I would prefer common law and the admiralty term, 'dock' removed

geoff, nice one m8, thanks

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
ham hydro have been carrying out samplings in teddington weir, you may want to respond by saying that is due to angling club pressure, and that may be the case, but I started the angling club
As you know Jim, I am fully aware that you started TAC. However, what has caused Ham Hydro to start carrying out some samplings is more likely due to the work of Dave Harvey and Alan Butterworth (I'll exclude myself at this point) for pressuring the EA to insist on samplings before the project gets started as this was NOT the case with Romney. The pressure was exerted in an exchange of many emails between said two and Stephen Naylor, hydro project manager, and the meetings we've had in Reading with the EA.

It was all done very quietly and calmly and without any fuss. It's the real way to get things done - softly, softly, catchee monkey.

it is to prove what can be done,
All that it has proven is that people, the ones that matter, just get annoyed by your actions and it makes them more determined to press ahead with the project and also makes Dave's and Alan's job a damned site harder.

This is some good advice I am giving you, either sing from the same hymn sheet to the same tune or back off completely, leave it be. Your attitude and actions are wrong, completely wrong and only exacerbate the situation that others have to deal with. Just because others on here or you yourself think you're doing a good job doesn't mean that you are. For every two steps forward your actions take us one step back. Please, please, please. desist from any more.

Now I really do mean that and with respect.