Straight knotless-knot, bent tube or line aligner?

laguna

Reaction score
Back of the hand test turns and pricks using either if tied correctly, but for me the line aligner with the hooklink pushed through a small hole (Jim Gibbinson style) seems to be the best of the bunch.

Anyone actually tried the same test with their hand in a tank of water?

nicepix

Reaction score
Accidentally, of course :D;)

Well, you would wouldn't you with words like this:

....pushed through a small hole (Jim Gibbinson style) seems to be the best of the bunch. Anyone actually tried the same test with their hand in a tank of water?

It was either a gay bondage party or Laguna had witnessed the PaSC initiation ritual of dangermouse.

And who the heck is Jim Gibbinson when he's at home?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking this relates to either steaming shrink tube to get the 'bend' from the line/hook or using the more recent preformed aligners?
Jerry

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Back of the hand test turns and pricks using either if tied correctly, but for me the line aligner with the hooklink pushed through a small hole (Jim Gibbinson style) seems to be the best of the bunch.

Anyone actually tried the same test with their hand in a tank of water?

Do you think that back of the hand test relates to what actually happens in a carps mouth ? I have no idea

Philip

Reaction score
The Jim Gibbinson line aligner was Jims way of creating a safe bent hook effect. I think he first wrote about it in the 90s.

I have used it and although I don’t think it really makes that much difference to the hook turning it did seem to give some very good hookholds. JG even wrote about it as a good method to use in venues where you are suffering hook pulls because the Carp have soft mouth.

I don’t know if my experiences where just coincidental but it did seem to match this finding.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
If you're talking about how to test the effectiveness/sharpness of a hook Benny I'd always go for the thumb nail.
Jerry

Yes thumb nail to test the sharpness but I meant does the fact that it turns on your hand equate to a better self hook in a carps mouth ?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yes thumb nail to test the sharpness but I meant does the fact that it turns on your hand equate to a better self hook in a carps mouth ?

OK, see where you're coming from Benny, IMO if the hook is bent (curved) inwards either by forming with shrink tube and a kettle - or by the now available aligners - I believe that it is a more effective hooking 'machine' for barbel and carp.
Jerry

cg74

Reaction score
The Jim Gibbinson line aligner was Jims way of creating a safe bent hook effect. I think he first wrote about it in the 90s.

I have used it and although I don’t think it really makes that much difference to the hook turning it did seem to give some very good hookholds. JG even wrote about it as a good method to use in venues where you are suffering hook pulls because the Carp have soft mouth.

I don’t know if my experiences where just coincidental but it did seem to match this finding.

The early 90's is when I first tried adding decoration to my rigs and I found the same; soft(er) mouthed carp (Oxford canal residents) tended to drop the hook less frequently with the inclusion of shrink tubing. Whereas with gravel pit (tougher mouthed) carp I don't think it made any difference.

Regards tank tests and drawing hook rigs across your hand to see if it'll work, yes it's a rough gauge as to the physics of the rig but isn't the carp trying to eject your bait and not the hook?

laguna

Reaction score
Well, you would wouldn't you with words like this:

It was either a gay bondage party or Laguna had witnessed the PaSC initiation ritual of dangermouse.

And who the heck is Jim Gibbinson when he's at home?

Never saw a thing, being blindfolded at the time just had to visualise and listen to the groans of what dangermouse was being subjected to... I believe the DVD recordings are such good high quality (audio/visual horror fest) and are now being distributed amongst their elite members! :eek::D

Jim Gibson was/is, if hes still alive? a prolific feature writer in the angling press from the late 1960's onwards, a major influence in the modern pursuit of carp fishing he also wrote 5 carp only books spanning over 45 years. Jim has also been instrumental in the design of carp rods, ringing patterns etc. Rods such as the ‘Clooper’ carp rod, Tri Cast and Eclipse ranges were ground-breaking and hugely successful both at home and abroad.

His first twenty-pounder came in the mid 1960s from Peterborough‘s famous ‘Electricity Cut’ and Jim has been catching worthwhile carp ever since. He was also a major influence in the pursuit of winter carp and his cold water carping successes attracted a great many carp anglers to dust down their carp rods even when snow lay on the ground.

Where's Ron he'll know who I mean ? :eek:mg:

Jim was also famous for bringing the line aligner to our attention in the 90's. The Kamasan b175 does a similar job of aligning the line at a 45 degree angle but most don’t have the down turn on the eye that gives the rig the ability to flip over. The ability to flip comes from adding a piece of soft rig tubing which both extends the shank and adds the flip effect.

I believe Jims original idea was to have the tube bent to a degree but for the line to emerge through the side wall rather than out the end of the tube.

This article will explain the principle much better than I can..
North West Carp: Line Aligner Carp Rig

barbelboi

Reaction score
I see what you mean now Chris, never heard of Jim Gibson's method before. For many years I've used a piece of cut shrink tube (half over the shank, the other half continuing over the line) boiling a kettle until it steams then bending the tube to the required angle.
Jerry

nicepix

Reaction score
I've heard anglers talk of an old fashioned method involving staying awake and setting the hook yourself when the carp takes. Don't know if it would work though.

cg74

Reaction score
I've heard anglers talk of an old fashioned method involving staying awake and setting the hook yourself when the carp takes. Don't know if it would work though.

I fish to catch fish for enjoyment, not a battle of attrition. Yes, the greater the challenge, the greater the reward but me staying awake throughout the night just to set the hook won't bring me more enjoyment/reward, so I'll stick with letting them hang themselves.