Whats your favourite brand? and why?

sussex river man

Reaction score
Was looking through some of my old fishing gear and found what was the catalyst for my love of all things ABU. It was my dads old abu cardinal 753 reel, i remember fishing with my dad when i was about 12 years old and looking at my crappy silstar reel and wishing i could afford to buy my very own cardinal! To cut a long story short i ended up with a nice collection of old abu reels and still use them to this day, also every rod ive bought in the last 10 years has been abu, i just think for the money there great!

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Reels - shimano and daiwa
Rods - older fox rods and daiwa
Alarms - delkims
Luggage and chairs - Korum
Hooks - drennan
Main line - maxima
Camera - canon
Hook lengths - reflo powerline

sussex river man

Reaction score
Reels - shimano and daiwa
Rods - older fox rods and daiwa
Alarms - delkims
Luggage and chairs - Korum
Hooks - drennan
Main line - maxima
Camera - canon
Hook lengths - reflo powerline

With you on the delkims! i finally invested in a couple of txi plus's and they are quality, great bite detection and built to last.

mfcgadge

Reaction score
Fairly pathetic answer from me but I have bought all Maver gear thus far. My son gave me his old Maver Abyss X Series Feeder rod and reactorlite reel and I bought an Abyss Pole. Luggage is also Maver. The reason is I liked the Maver livery as it looks smart!! Told you it was pathetic..... :wh

simon dunbar

Reaction score
Reels Shimano ( best reels for my predator fishing )
Rods Daiwa ( great quality rods )
Luggage/Bivvy Chub ( bought a lot of it years ago , still going strong )
Hooks Owner / GLT/ Mustad Siluro (all strong hooks )
Line Berkley Big Game ( best line for big fish )
Lures Rapala ( superb quality )

maceo

Reaction score
For rods, I like Maver. I've used the Abyss 13ft float rod and a Genesis 12ft feeder for some time now and am really content with them.

At £25 - £30 each they've been probably the best value for money purchase of any of my tackle.

I haven't tried out many other rods to be fair (especially not the super expensive ones that you see advertised) but for me the Mavers have been excellent and more than everything needed for my standard of fishing.

As for reels, I would agree Shimano. I only have one, but it's smooth like silk compared to the other makes I have. Absolutely worth the money, even though it was expensive.

barbelboi

Reaction score
For reels used Mitchell 300's until the early 70's, then Abu 55's for a couple of years until Shimano won me over and I've stuck with them ever since.
Jerry

Keith M

Reaction score
For reels used Mitchell 300's until the early 70's, then Abu 55's for a couple of years until Shimano won me over and I've stuck with them ever since.
Jerry

Same here except for the occasional reels from Daiwa, Drennan and my 3 centrepins.

stuart mitchell

Reaction score
reels..shimano....never let me down..
rods...harrison....best blanks in the word...imo.
luggage..korum...topnotch kit...well designed.
line....adrena..sensor..
bedchair..nash..
bivvy..brollies...trakker..fox...aqua..
rig bits...e.s.p...prologic...pallatrax..drennan..

agamemnon

Reaction score
for years i swore by mitchel reels and its only the long distance carp fishing that made me buy daiwa emblem reels. now i find daiwa such good quality i dont want to change.
as for rods about 75% of my rods are daiwa and if i need a new rod then first port of call will be daiwa.
for boillies ive caught some real nice fish on rod hutchinson baits and tend to stick wi them, monster crab being my all time favourite

Maggie

Reaction score
Was looking through some of my old fishing gear and found what was the catalyst for my love of all things ABU. It was my dads old abu cardinal 753 reel, i remember fishing with my dad when i was about 12 years old and looking at my crappy silstar reel and wishing i could afford to buy my very own cardinal! To cut a long story short i ended up with a nice collection of old abu reels and still use them to this day, also every rod ive bought in the last 10 years has been abu, i just think for the money there great!

Abu-itus is a rare condition lol

My favourites are as follows:

Reels:
Shimano; (although they seem to be cutting back on their quality a bit these days.), Diawa, Drennan and old Abu's (506 & Cardinal 55's).

Rods:
Greys, Hardy, Drennan and Diawa.

Other tackle:
Whatever takes my fancy, as long as it does it's job well.

Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Rods: Normark, Daiwa and Drennan

Reels: i will get back to you once i have upgraded from my Michells and ABU closed face

Stick floats: John Dean or Pete Warren originals

Hooks and other floats: Drennan

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Reels..................................... Shimano
Rods......................................Maver (excellent value)
Dreenan (joy to use)
Luggage.................................Korum
Hooklengths............................Preston
Floats....................................Dave Harrell
Local Market (Straight wagglers 3/£1)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like several or more different makers of rods and tackle but my favourite rods are...
...wait for it...Normark :)...and the rest..
-fixed spool reels, shimano
-centrepins, Chris Lythe 1915 copy
-end tackle, drennan
-line, daiwa sensor.
- floats, Steve Maher

goonch

Reaction score
I have a dislike of anything made by Daiwa. I base that on absolutely nothing whatsoever, I have never actually used any of their tackle, I have nothing against the company itself and I am certain they make some excellent gear.

Sometimes I confuse even myself :confused:

chav professor

Reaction score
Top of the range daiwa and drennan stuff.... plus anything in between that gets the job done.

Now sea fishing? thats where I have definitive favorites...... Abu multipliers and Century beach casting rods (match tip tornados). Ultima F1 surf casting line in 18lb for rough ground and sufix tritanium in 15lb for everything else. Breakaway tackle for all bits of terminal tackle and kamasan for hooks.