Orfordness.

cadius

Reaction score
Greetings fellow Anglers,I have recently heard a very disturbing rumor.It would seem that the R.S.P.B have purchased the remaining area of Orfordness,that bit that the National Trust did not buy.
I am probably contacting the wrong people.I sent an email to the Angling Trust who my Club belongs to and as usual not an acknowledgment or reply.I even sent an enquiry to Fishing magic and even they have not gotten back to me.Has anybody got any info about this, that is fact based, not rumor.
If it is the case, how come (if it is not privately owned)the public have not been made aware of the sale Big monies changing hands by the sound of it.. Yet another venue taken away from us.There soon will not be any decent venues left to fish in Essex and Suffolk.

chav professor

Reaction score
Are you on facebook? if so, find 'breakaway tackle' page, post a message and expect someone in the know to inform you......

cadius

Reaction score
hi there Chav Proffesor up date on Orford it has been brought to my attention that the R.S.P.B have not purchased the last part of Orford and in fact the National Trust are really not happy about us being there.the R.S.P.B were asking at one of their meetings how they could exclude anglers from the beach at Minsmere when the Terns were nesting.and the question was asked if there was any where else that those present at the meeting would like anglers to be excluded and the National trust said the Narrows and the Crouch at Orfordness.It makes a mockery of the fact that the Orfordness angling club has to pay through the nose to be able to drive only up to the point and the passengers have to pay as well.As far as i know they only lease the land from the gate at the dirty wall up to the fence near the crouch.According to my source there is a footpath or Public right of way across there anyway.So if anybody knows anything different love to hear it.
Keep the faith, tight lines Cadius.

Chevin

Reaction score
hi there Chav Proffesor up date on Orford it has been brought to my attention that the R.S.P.B have not purchased the last part of Orford and in fact the National Trust are really not happy about us being there.the R.S.P.B were asking at one of their meetings how they could exclude anglers from the beach at Minsmere when the Terns were
nesting.and the question was asked if there was any where else that those present at the meeting would like anglers to be excluded and the National trust said the Narrows and the Crouch at Orfordness.It makes a mockery of the fact that the Orfordness angling club has to pay through the nose to be able to drive only up to the point and the passengers have to pay as well.As far as i know they only lease the land from the gate at the dirty wall up to the fence near the crouch.According to my source there is a footpath or Public right of way across there anyway.So if anybody knows anything different love to hear it.
Keep the faith, tight lines Cadius.

We used to get to Orfordness by boat and pull the boat onto the beach for the duration of our stay. There was a military base of some kind on the landward end of the peninsula so access was not allowed from land. I never went near the fence because I heard that there was zero tolerance applied to anyone who crossed that line for any reason accidental or otherwise. Indeed, even shipping was warned not to pass the base closer than three miles out. There were some good cod to be caught there and it was all worth the trouble.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do not know about whats going on lease or sale wise but when I visited it with my friends in june we got the boat from Orford to the second drop off point and the amounts of litter and bags of rubbish left on the beach and back area where people had had camps was disgusting I was ashamed of the state of the place . It is a wonder anglers are still allowed on there.

Chevin

Reaction score
Do not know about whats going on lease or sale wise but when I visited it with my friends in june we got the boat from Orford to the second drop off point and the amounts of litter and bags of rubbish left on the beach and back area where people had had camps was disgusting I was ashamed of the state of the place . It is a wonder anglers are still allowed on there.

It's such a shame isn't it. The same thing was happening at the Wotton Underwood estate before I took over the fishing there. The owner was sick and tired of all of the litter and the damage that was being done and she was going to stop the fishing altogether. I approached her, offered her a lot more money than the club was paying and guaranteed that there would only be forty members in the syndicate, all of whom would be identified. The proposal was accepted, the fishing was still available and the litter and damage ended overnight.

daveolley

Reaction score
I used to fish Orford in the 70s. We were taken across from the harbour to the narrows by Ralph Brinkley who was the harbour master at the time.
Once it was dark we sometimes "strayed" through the fence (which was dilapidated) and moved further up the beach. Some seriously good cod fishing at this time of year.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My brother mentioned to me the other day that a big 33 pound cod had come off orford very recently.