Beach casting - reel up or down?

bigperca1

Reaction score
I've been fishing now for about 40 years and I've always used my reel in the "up" position. I've never really like the look of casting with the reel low down but now I'm wondering if I'm being too narrow minded! In particular I didn't like the idea of having to control the reel with my left hand!

Can anyone tell me what (if there are any) advantages i would have by casting with my reel low down?

hooklineand sinker

Reaction score
havn,t used a beachcaster for a number of years but when I did always had my reel down, small hands much easier to grip a multiplyer spool .If using a fixed spool then I would cast it in the up position

chav professor

Reaction score
Reel down helped me to master and time the Nigel Forrest 'pendulum cast'.... Reel up... can't do it so well. also, top tip, I always carry a length of cycle inner tube. simply cut of an inch section, place it over the thumb and helps grip no end. A lot of casting errors occur due to the thumb slipping during the loading of the rod.

B

Berty

Reel down helped me to master and time the Nigel Forrest 'pendulum cast'.... Reel up... can't do it so well. also, top tip, I always carry a length of cycle inner tube. simply cut of an inch section, place it over the thumb and helps grip no end. A lot of casting errors occur due to the thumb slipping during the loading of the rod.

Good tip!!......i'm new to beach casting but i was finding 4 and six ounce leads and the casting of were indeed causing slip.

paul80

Reaction score
Hi

The easy answer is try both and then use the one you find the most comfortable. I could never get used to reel down so stuck to reel up.

Paul