not bad..... average river, average angler.

nicky

Reaction score
Some nice photos there christian i got to get back into chub fishing haven't done any for a few years, so many plans so little time.

chav professor

Reaction score
I particularly like the 'net' picture... don't usually retain fish for pictures, but do have a sack for fish thta i want a specific photograph of. Whilst waiting for my photographer (lol), had a nother two. Its nicley proportioned, the biggest fish was the tiniest smidge over 5lb, the others were 3lb14oz and 2lb12oz respectively - nearly a 5,4,3!

A 7,6,5 would be nice :D

No lets be optimistic..... an 8,7,6 :D:D:D:D

maceo

Reaction score
But not an average bait though - locust!

Amazing variety of baits you use and with success too.

chav professor

Reaction score

Amazing variety of baits you use and with success too.

Locusts, giant black crickets, morio worms, snails, slugs, lobs, dock grubs, blackberries, elderberries, glacis cherries.... all good summer baits.

---------- Post added at 05:49 ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 ----------

The fella with the barbs must be a big lad!

If you have big hands, you are at a disadvantage....lol

cg74

Reaction score

I'm beginning to think locust are the norm for Christian....

I had a mad moment yesterday on the Lugg. I fished four 'dead cert' looking swims without even a knock. Convinced my paste was turning sour (it was made 4 days earlier), I looked around for inspiration and was greeted with millions of slugs, mainly brown ones (that I've never had success with) but also a few black uns. So I promptly dropped the pellet and stuck a BIG black slug my hook and flicked it out - it had to be worth a bash!

Within seconds my tip wrapped around - a 4lb chub.
Now full of gusto I repeated things again, after a slightly longer wait - another chub was netted.
I then went back on the paste, with no success! So I again opted for a slug and yet again it produced a chub.

I'm still confused as to how come the fish ignored my bait, especially considering I went onto take a chub of 5lbish, plus land and lose a barbel, maybe because the river had been major flood for the previous three days, the chub had become preoccupied with feeding on them.

Perhaps both Christian and myself were simply matching the hatch?

chav professor

Reaction score
On a practical note, most of my summer sessions last less than 2 hours and a lot of the baits I use are either cheap or free. The most expensive baits are Locusts and they work out at 30p each.

Interestingly CG, I have found bottom baits to be far less effective on my rivers this year... not sure why?