Is there something wrong with me?

paul80

Reaction score
Hi Guys

As subject, Is there something wrong with me.

I don't know why and although I have been fishing for 40 odd years I have a load of modern equipment that is the best equipment I have ever owned or used, but of late I find myself browsing various auction sites trying to re-buy the tackle I used to use.

Centrepin Reels, Split Cane Rods and Stewart tackle boxes, Porcupine Quill Floats are the latest on my wants, good god, what's wrong with me, what's next a Wicker Basket!!!!

Help

Paul

sam vimes

Reaction score
Yes, there is undoubtedly something wrong with you. A horrible case of nostalgia. If ever someone puts rose tinted glass in my specs, I take an old fibreglass rod out of storage, put it together, waggle it for a few seconds and then put it away. Such a horrific experience soon kills off any hint of nostalgia.

George387

Reaction score
Yes, there is undoubtedly something wrong with you. A horrible case of nostalgia. If ever someone puts rose tinted glass in my specs, I take an old fibreglass rod out of storage, put it together, waggle it for a few seconds and then put it away. Such a horrific experience soon kills off any hint of nostalgia.

Your spoilt Sam thats the problem ;) Nothing wrong with pins or split cane rods, it does me no harm :) :)

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I dont nostalgic about the gear at all. i do get nostalgic about the places i used to fish when young - only problem is there would be loads of bloody kids fishing them or i might get caught poaching.

paul80

Reaction score
And to make it even worse I intend to fish with this old gear, if I manage to get any thing else before SWMBO who pays all the bills catches me at it. even though I know full well the the gear I already have is miles better than the old stuff, even though none of what I own now would be classed anywhere near top end stuff. The gear I get for peanuts from Dragon Carp is miles better than the old stuff I used 40 years ago, but still I am looking for more.

It wouldn't be to bad if I was a collector but I am not, every bit of kit I own gets used at some time during the year, and most of it gets taken every time, (Just in case) no wonder so many anglers use Barrows nowadays and no wonder so many of us have bad backs, Not only do I have Tennis Elbow and Golfers Elbow, (Both in the same Elbow) but also have Anglers Back :)

Paul

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

As subject, Is there something wrong with me.

I don't know why and although I have been fishing for 40 odd years I have a load of modern equipment that is the best equipment I have ever owned or used, but of late I find myself browsing various auction sites trying to re-buy the tackle I used to use.

Centrepin Reels, Split Cane Rods and Stewart tackle boxes, Porcupine Quill Floats are the latest on my wants, good god, what's wrong with me, what's next a Wicker Basket!!!!

Help

Paul

There is absolutely nothing at all 'wrong' with you Paul, like many others you understand the 'soul' inherent in some of the older tackle compared to the soul-less carboniferous period stuff from today.

We ought to have a section on here though for members to highlight what we are bidding on so that we don't continually outbid each other . . . . . .

That said, I've just bought a lovely modern Sage 3880CF Fly reel, beautifully crafted and so, so light . . . . its like holding an angel's kiss in your hand . . . . . . .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am in the middle of this 6th age of the seven of an angler; I believe that is what it is. Nothing wrong with with it and I am enjoying it very much. I fish with a nice solid cane rod with a split cane top circa 1950 1960 and some old quill floats. And it is thoroughly enjoyable. I think the lack of complication helps, concentrate on the fish, water craft and the fishing instead of the tackle.
You might get the ---- taken a bit but, inwardly you will know what it is all about. A superior knowledge and understanding. Just smile back with a knowing and smug look.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I am in the middle of this 6th age of the seven of an angler; I believe that is what it is. Nothing wrong with with it and I am enjoying it very much. I fish with a nice solid cane rod with a split cane top circa 1950 1960 and some old quill floats. And it is thoroughly enjoyable. I think the lack of complication helps, concentrate on the fish, water craft and the fishing instead of the tackle.
You might get the ---- taken a bit but, inwardly you will know what it is all about. A superior knowledge and understanding. Just smile back with a knowing and smug look.

You do realise that you can keep it simple without using antique junk instead of decent tackle?

Here's one for the nostalgia freaks. Is it fair to assume that, along with your old rods and reels, you desperately search for authentic line and hooks rather than new fangled modern stuff? I accept that you've got a fair excuse in that such old junk isn't available any longer, but I'm guessing that there wouldn't be anything like the clamour to use such junk if it were.

P.S. when you smile back with what you think is a knowing and smug look, you just look constipated.;):D:p

paul80

Reaction score
It makes it even worse when I know that even modern junk as sold by the likes of Dragon Carp is probably miles better than "Vintage" junk as you call it but there is still an earge within me just to try it once again.

Perhaps it's just all down to failing memory, and I think it was better than it was.

One thing I did know though is that I will not be getting rid of my modern junk, its far to good for that, even though its just modern junk.?

Paul

Last edited:

sussex river man

Reaction score
I am only 30 years old so not really old enough to have used split cane rods and old Mitchell reels, but i have also been buying vintage rods and reels the last couple of years. i have some lovely old rods that i do use occasionally (mostly for trotting) and i love it! my dad takes the **** but i dont care i like feeling like im in an episode of Mr Crabtree go fishing lol.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
You do realise that you can keep it simple without using antique junk instead of decent tackle?

Here's one for the nostalgia freaks. Is it fair to assume that, along with your old rods and reels, you desperately search for authentic line and hooks rather than new fangled modern stuff? I accept that you've got a fair excuse in that such old junk isn't available any longer, but I'm guessing that there wouldn't be anything like the clamour to use such junk if it were.

P.S. when you smile back with what you think is a knowing and smug look, you just look constipated.;):D:p

I had a good laugh at that, I am a bit worried now. By the way my rod is junk, I bought it in a junk shop after all. But, take a peep at the antique roadshow sometime and you may get it. Some of that junk ends up being priceless.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I had a good laugh at that, I am a bit worried now. By the way my rod is junk, I bought it in a junk shop after all. But, take a peep at the antique roadshow sometime and you may get it. Some of that junk ends up being priceless.

Oh I can understand old stuff having value (and even beauty). I'll bet a car from 1930 would be worth a fortune too. That doesn't mean that I'd wish to use one in preference to even a rubbish modern car. Also, not for one moment would I suggest discarding something because it's old. I still have my old fibreglass rod after all. There's not a cat in hell's chance of me using it in anger though.

paul80

Reaction score
But do you remember that joyous moment when you changed your sold glass rod for a hollow glass version. how light they felt in comparison, and then that joyous moment when that was changed for your first carbon rod.

Paul

sam vimes

Reaction score
But do you remember that joyous moment when you changed your sold glass rod for a hollow glass version. how light they felt in comparison, and then that joyous moment when that was changed for your first carbon rod.

Paul

Nah, I'm not old or unlucky enough for solid glass. My first rod was inherited hollow glass. It was a joyous occasion when I got my first carbon rod. It was also joyous when I got my first really good carbon rod. However, I've no desire to go back to either. I've not forgotten how rubbish they were made to feel by the replacements.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I remember my first solid glass rod in the early 60's - a novelty at the time after a decade of cane, then the hollow glass, couldn't wait to sling them all down the tip when carbon appeared. In all possibility solid glass only developed because of the shortage of decent tonkin at the time, IMO the worst rods ever made and not a patch on a good cane rod.
Jerry

dangermouse

Reaction score
I still have my old fibreglass rod after all. There's not a cat in hell's chance of me using it in anger though.

When I returned to fishing last year I started off with my old fibreglass rod. It still works perfectly well but I can`t see it getting another outing now I have a carbon rod. But like Sam I won`t be throwing the glass rod away, too many happy memories attached to it.