safe

Wooly

Reaction score
1. Buy the right components. For instance if using Korda inlines buy the correct size swivel that they recommend. The eye of the swivel should be gripped by the plastic tube inside the lead, not the body of the swivel. For a beginner I would recommend buying all the components from the same supplier.
2. Thread your mainline through theanti tangletubing. Make sure that there are no knots, or, anything which will stop the line passing through the tubing above the tubing.
3. Thread the line through the tail rubber.
4. Thread the line through the lead and push the tail rubber over the plastic tube which sticks out of the lead.
5. Tie on your hooklink. A common fault for beginners is buying pretied rigs from a different supplier, resulting in the swivel being too loose, or, too tight when it is pulled into the lead. The swivel should be lightly gripped when pulled into the lead. If you hold the lead and pull the hooklink it should pull free under light pressure.

Most good suppliers will supply all the parts as a kit and usually they will include a drawing of all the above.

Joey

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>neil smith 2 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

can anyone tell me how to set up a safe inline rig?</blockquote>

Pass your mainline through about 18" of rig tubing ( a pole elastic threader is useful for this) . Then pass it through a tail rubber, you can, with some manoeuvring, get the rig tubing to fit into the end of the tail rubber ( a baiting needle may be useful here.

Then pass the mainline through your inline lead and tie on a swivel that fits inside the lead and grips it, but not too tightly.

Tie your hooklength to the other end of the swivel and gently pull it all together. Make sure that your hooklength is a lower BS than your mainline.

stephen walker

Reaction score
the safest way i found to ensure the the lead releases on a take or in a snag is to pass your leader througha tail rubber then attach a size 8 or suitable sized swivel.lightly ream out the hard sleeve of the lead then push the swivel into the lead so that the leader knot is going into the lead,next all you have to do is push the tail rubber onto the hard tail of the lead insert and pull the leader tight so that it fits tight around the outside of the lead,it may seem a bit long winded but its simple and very safe

moody

Reaction score
watch the korda dvd number 1 tells you loads of stuff about inline rigs .Also this months uk carp has a good article by danny fairbrass!

C

Cakey

dont watch the korda dvd .....its an advert.....you need to be a bit more wide ranged !

do as roto says

moody

Reaction score
you cant tell me that mr fairbrass doesnt know what hes on about cakey! he may be advertising products but they are good products i know because i use many of them ! appart from that making a safe inline set up is basic stuff and if neil is unsure how then i feel that the dvd may help!but admittedly their is some blatent advertising on there££££££!! Also try talking to a few fellow anglers on the bank, im sure they wont mind showing you ,its a bit difficult to show you in words some of the little things that can make the difference between a safe inline and a safe inline that catches you fish!

F

Frothey

no such thing as a safe in-line rig, tiny bit of weed and the mainline wont go through the lead. nash and fox got close a few years back, but people being people crimped the lead so it didnt fall off! actaully, there is a safe one, but you cant cast with it......

saying that, no rigs are particularly safe, make sure you use a low bs hooklength is about the only way....

Wooly

Reaction score
Nowt wrong with watching the DVD, just be aware that other companies sell similar stuff. If it shows you how to set up the mechanics of the rig then it will have been useful.

As for safety, I have used inlines for many years, often in weedy situations and have never had a problem. Provided it has been set up correctly I find an inline set upto be one of the safer set ups.
I've seen plenty ofchod, helicopter and lead clip rigs which have made me shudder, paricularly when used with lead core.

There are lots of books and web sites which deal with the subject of safe rigs. This site has a section dedicated to rigs, as Roto says, make sure you take a look at it.

Wooly

Reaction score
Suffering from the worse bout of man flu I have ever had, must be my age. It's keeping me away from Top Pool on the Capesthorne estate.

I've got a few weeks to shake it off before a Vaumigny trip in late April. Something about that water makes me keep going back, though I'm sure you know all about that.