Thurcroft

aee

Reaction score
The daughter has move to Thurcroft in Rotherham and I was wondering if anyone could point me in right the direction to some general coarse lakes or ponds

dangermouse

Reaction score
You`re spoilt for choice, plenty on this list that are nearby. I know there are a couple of venues in Thurcroft itself but I`m afraid I don`t know their names.

fishing yorkshire south

And not too far away there are my locals Ferryboat Farm Fishery and Elm Tree Fishery, there`s also the Don and the South Yorks Navigation. There are a few farm ponds in the area too, one at Hickleton and another near High Melton, can`t help too much with directions because I`ve only ever been driven to them but you should be able to spot them on Google Earth.

aee

Reaction score
Thanks for that will look them up. Have you heard of Pinchmill Fisherie?

flightliner

Reaction score
Aston ponds nearby-- about four miles as is some nice Barbel fishing in one or two local rivers.

nicepix

Reaction score
Don't bother with Hickleton pond. My bath is bigger than that. Same goes for a few of the old 'pit ponds'. Fine if you like sitting within fifteen yards of five anglers, but not for me.

The rivers are your best bet. Look them up on Google Earth. A lot of the Don and Rother is free and very lightly fished, look around Millmoor, Brinsworth & Canklow. Also, going out towards Retford and Worksop is the Chesterfield Canal. There is another canal in Rotherham itself that is worth a try. Back of the Hovis factory. Just don't take your Hardy rods and Rollex with you :wh

dangermouse

Reaction score
Don't bother with Hickleton pond. My bath is bigger than that. Same goes for a few of the old 'pit ponds'. Fine if you like sitting within fifteen yards of five anglers, but not for me.

:wh

Whilst I`ll agree Hickleton is tiny I wouldn`t worry about being sat next to another angler. On the 4 occasions I went up there this year there were no other anglers there. Had quite a few tench, albeit only up to about 2lbs (although I`m sure there are a few bigger ones) and there are some nice roach and rudd in there too.

Wouldn`t bother using maggots though, you`ll just be pestered to death with roach fry, corn and bread seem to be the way to go.

nicepix

Reaction score
I know the owner of Hickleton pond. Doubt if anything that could be sold is still in there :D

Occassionally I used to fish the small private pond in the park at the back of the Sue Ryder Home when I had permision to shoot on that land. It was full of small golden orfe and crucians.

dangermouse

Reaction score
I know the owner of Hickleton pond. Doubt if anything that could be sold is still in there :D

He seems to have very little interest in the place, I`ve only had to pay to fish it once. And he`s allowed the bigger pond to become choked with weed to the extent that it`s pretty much unfishable. I believe he used to have another pond on his land but that`s been emptied and filled in.

Occassionally I used to fish the small private pond in the park at the back of the Sue Ryder Home when I had permision to shoot on that land. It was full of small golden orfe and crucians.

Whereabouts is that?

nicepix

Reaction score
He seems to have very little interest in the place, I`ve only had to pay to fish it once. And he`s allowed the bigger pond to become choked with weed to the extent that it`s pretty much unfishable. I believe he used to have another pond on his land but that`s been emptied and filled in.

Once he realised there was no money to be made, i.e. he thought it was just a matter of putting a few carp in a hole in the ground and anglers would queue up to pay him to fish it, he lost interest. There is a guy supposed to collect payments but he can't be ar$ed to go round every day as he doesn't get paid. My mate used to be the gamekeeper up there and I had the run of the place. :D

Whereabouts is that?

Err. The clue is in my post: "At the back of the Sue Ryder Home" :eek:mg:
(His Father used to rent the sporting rights for the estate when I used to shoot there. I think he lost the rights many years ago. No idea who has it now. The pond is still showing on Google Earth )

dangermouse

Reaction score
Once he realised there was no money to be made, i.e. he thought it was just a matter of putting a few carp in a hole in the ground and anglers would queue up to pay him to fish it, he lost interest. There is a guy supposed to collect payments but he can't be ar$ed to go round every day as he doesn't get paid. My mate used to be the gamekeeper up there and I had the run of the place. :D

Kinda figured that. There is a guy who comes round and does a bit of clearing up but afaik he doesn`t receive anything for it, and he doesn`t collect money. Still it suits us, free fishing and no one to bother us.

Err. The clue is in my post: "At the back of the Sue Ryder Home" :eek:mg:
(His Father used to rent the sporting rights for the estate when I used to shoot there. I think he lost the rights many years ago. No idea who has it now. The pond is still showing on Google Earth )

What can I say, I didn`t realise there was a Sue Ryder home in Hickleton. As I said in an earlier post I don`t know the area well. My mate took me up there for the first time this year.

Just looked on GE, Loscoe pond?

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Loscoe Pond - That's it! Private though. They won't want you PaSC types laying your bodily wastes around the place.