New Drennan rods

Az

Reaction score
ive heard that drennan have brought out a new rod specificly designed for tench and bream, it went on sale on friday apparently and is a fantastic design a good source told me, has anyone heard or seen these rods if so which shops or website are they in??

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I'd like to see these rods myself. And the spec.

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Tench and bream, I can see the use of a tench rod, but bream, bream don't fight.

They just get in the way when trying to catch proper fish and Drennan rod's, good gear but why all the writing on them ?

I

Ian Cloke

Az, why don't you ask your source? They seem to know a lot about the rod...

C

Colin North, the one and only

"bream don't fight.

They just get in the way when trying to catch proper fish...."

What a very unfortunate attitude for an angler to have. Get yourself down to Bury Hill or across to Denmark on the Guden and then tell us that Bream don't fight. Its the same with some of the Carp boys referring to any other species that dares to eat one of their boilies as "rubbish fish"

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

The Blenheim Bream go real well, have had them have the rod bent double, thrashing right to the net, 4-7lb. Good powerful fights from the off.

The big lumps can be quite powerful at times and have put aserious curve in mypound and a half testHarrison’s, specially if you have deep margins they really can pull,heart pounding moments i tell ya, specially when your targeting fish up to the 18lb mark.

I remember taking Gary Knowles on a guest ticketBreaming on a water of minea couple of years ago and when he hooked his first fish (which i think wasa new PB) he looked at me and said something like "f***ing ell Wol, this cant be a Bream" after a good scrap right to the net and a good bend in the rod it was all smiles, 14 odd it was.

G

Gary Knowles

"bream don't fight.

They just get in the way when trying to catch proper fish...."

so whats a proper fish then?....big fat ratfish ?..........

Rods only needed for the fight now huh, no requirments for casting then ?

Oh yes Wol, I remember, fekin' thing wouldn't give up...and on a 2.5tc rod to boot !!!!!

C

Colin North, the one and only

Regardless of whether a species of fish fights well or not, as anglers, if we catch them by accident or design, we should not denigrate them for their (lack of) fighting ability. They are fish, we are anglers trying to catch fish. End of....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="quoteheader">Jeff Spiller wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class="quote">

Tench and bream, I can see the use of a tench rod, but bream, bream don't fight.

They just get in the way when trying to catch proper fish......</blockquote>

Obviously Jeff isan angler who hasn't caught many decent ones from many different waters, otherwise he'd know that not all bream are poor fighters.

There was one thingthat always crosses my mindwhen coming across a statement like Jeff's, which is:

It's a good job they don't fight as hard as some species for it'sdifficult enough getting a bite from them in the first place without any other problems to contend with. If we had to step up the line strength and the hook size to contend with a fish that fights as hard as a barbel but is as hard tohook as a big bream then they would beas close to impossible to catch as a fish could be.

I'm just thankful that barbel are thick.

Relatively speaking.

As for bream not being a proper fish then that can only come from an angler whose only concern is how hard a fish can bend the rod. Live a little Jeff, and try out the old brain matter on a fish that demands more, a lot more,than just brute strength!

I've got a couple of Drennan's new rods and will be reviewing them soon.

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Bloody hell I didn't realise they were so popular, I did have a good fight from a bream one's, it didn't start off to hard but then it went off like the clapper's, then I realised a pike had taken it.

What about all that writing up and down those Drennan rod's then !

Deanos

Reaction score
Lads, this is not easy for me, but I HAVE TO AGREE WITH GRANVILLE! /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Last season I had a 6/5 river bream from my local area, they are VERY rare now in the small rivers where I fish, it was a beautiful fish, fought well, and honestly meant more to me than the barbel I caught last season, as I am sure that those that are present are the last of the line.

Rainbow trout are even dafter than Barbel in my local river, they beat the barbel to the bait and hang themselves on any bait you care to use. I do think that chub are a bit brighter, and they shall always be my fav fish (unless I can tempt another bream out).

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Speci, you should know better than that, if it say's barbel on it then you can only catch barbel !

Deanos

Reaction score
Hey up....

They can write all they want on the Drennan rods, they are fantastic bits of kit.

There is no deliberation for me, they do exactly what they say on the box.

Anyway Granville, rather than using them for trying to poke squirrels out of the wife's knickers on the washing line after the test....send them to me if you want!

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Deanos I thought it was very expensive barbel rod's you wanted and anyway a squirrel would see all that writing from a mile away and leg it.

Specihunter

Reaction score
jeffwith a 2lb tc why should i need a tench or bream rod as you can use a carp rod for piking(plus with money not being greati'm multi tasking)

Deanos

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifJeff!.....I push an old pram around Pontefract looking for owt I can scrounge to be honest!.

I got myself a Greys barbel rod, then on getting a medium drennan feeder rod found I REALLY like having barbel on this better, but in fishing for barbel in snaggy swims, it will be back to the greys. Hell women go through this when choosing a new hat...very worrying isent it Jeff!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Had some great battling bream....especially whilst fishing deep water (15ft) plus from a boat........had some great catches of fish in the 4 to 7lb range.

I haven't done it for years, and this has brought it all back........where did i put that fairy liquid marker bottle!! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

T

The Welsh Windbag

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I've got a couple of Drennan's new rods and TWW will be reviewing one of them soon.</blockquote></blockquote>

Wow Marsbar,

Thanks ever so, but you're right, we mustn't letDeanos know..... keep on stalling him with empty promises /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
I'll keep an eye out for you Deanos next time I'm driving around Pontefract /forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif.

I only joking about bream, each man to his own andno man should knock the other.

Still don't like all that writing though /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif.