Locating Pike

Chris Campbell

Reaction score
Was watching Gord Burton the Pikeing Pirate. He was going on about how he use to tie old dead baits to a piece of string and tie a bit buoyant foam to the other end of the string and throw them out in likely looking spots on certain waters. He would come back and check to see if they had been taken by a pike. This sounds like a good way to locate good spots and it will work without a doubt. My only concern is ducks and swans getting tangled up or the pike swallowing the string the baits tied to. What are any ones ideas on this and has anyone tried it in the past?

keora

Reaction score
I think wild life could get entangled.

Also your actions might be misinterpreted as other anglers could think you are setting night lines

A better solution is to fish the water with lures, moving quickly from swim to swim. You'll get a good idea of where the pike are, and how deep the swims are.

chav professor

Reaction score
If you get to learn a piece of water, start to get an impression where pike should be at certain times of the year.

I came across a hotspot on my river by complete accident. 2 years ago landed 5 pike to 9lb from the same spot. in a short period of time. As I was landing a pike, others would flash and strike at the fish as I brought it in.

This indicated to me that there was something special about this area..... its on a bend, probably a bit deeper due to the scouring action of the flow. in all probability these fish had started to hold up for spawning. The big girls seem to like this area - without the complication of spawning, the size of some of these fish must keep smaller jacks away! I bet they enter the spiders layer with caution drawn by a strong biological urge!!!!

pike2-12-10022.jpg

gippingpike022.jpg

biggippingpike019.jpg

I found it by fishing deads sink and draw and walking the stretch - these fish were caught no more than 50 yards apart from the hot spot over a period on months

Last edited:

micksmith39

Reaction score
Was watching Gord Burton the Pikeing Pirate. He was going on about how he use to tie old dead baits to a piece of string and tie a bit buoyant foam to the other end of the string and throw them out in likely looking spots on certain waters. He would come back and check to see if they had been taken by a pike. This sounds like a good way to locate good spots and it will work without a doubt. My only concern is ducks and swans getting tangled up or the pike swallowing the string the baits tied to. What are any ones ideas on this and has anyone tried it in the past?

yeah, but how would you know if it was a pike that took it,bad idea i think,if you live close enough to where you fish i think pre,baiting will work ,

B

Berty

If you get to learn a piece of water, start to get an impression where pike should be at certain times of the year.

I came across a hotspot on my river by complete accident. 2 years ago landed 5 pike to 9lb from the same spot. in a short period of time. As I was landing a pike, others would flash and strike at the fish as I brought it in.

This indicated to me that there was something special about this area..... its on a bend, probably a bit deeper due to the scouring action of the flow. in all probability these fish had started to hold up for spawning. The big girls seem to like this area - without the complication of spawning, the size of some of these fish must keep smaller jacks away! I bet they enter the spiders layer with caution drawn by a strong biological urge!!!!

pike2-12-10022.jpg

gippingpike022.jpg

biggippingpike019.jpg

I found it by fishing deads sink and draw and walking the stretch - these fish were caught no more than 50 yards apart from the hot spot over a period on months

Decent enough mornings catch of pike.....is the middle and bottom the same fish?.......oh and it's spiders LAIR....and you a taecher and steintist! ;)

Gord didn't think this one up......i believe Barry Rickards wrote about a similar way of locating pike?....but if my memory serves me well it was cotton he used and fixed in the margins rather than on cork floats?

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
Decent enough mornings catch of pike.....is the middle and bottom the same fish?.......oh and it's spiders LAIR....and you a taecher and steintist! ;)

Gord didn't think this one up......i believe Barry Rickards wrote about a similar way of locating pike?....but if my memory serves me well it was cotton he used and fixed in the margins rather than on cork floats?

My sectets out........ sorry secret.... I am dyslexic:eek:mg: For long posts I often use microsoft word and turn the red stuff right using spell checker - then cut and paste. One of the reasons i left school with less qualifications than my special needs classes do. Problem was when I was schooled I fitted too easily into the category of being thick:D

try it! spell something wrong and it shows up...... tricks of the trade;)

They are different pike caught over the course of a season. Not bad for a small tin-pot suffolk river.

BTW, thats true!! I even get a small budget for stuff to help me teach in lessons.

Children can learn tricks quite easily. My handwriting was worse than a scribble - it disguised my problem - its a sure give away if you know what to look for. mis-shapen letters etc. A word like light looks a complete muddle - i asked a student how he could spell it - it looks like a jumble!

well sir, its like right, bright, tight - ight being a commonality - tricks are taught and children with barriers make progress. Its why i do the job!!! I find teaching higher sets in comparison a great pressure:eek: I have to use pre-prepared key words for the board and use powerpoint pre-planned lessons which take time.

B

Berty

My lad had special needs all the way through school, his Mum and myself had to decide whether to send him to special school or mainstream, he now holds down a great job and last month took delivery of his first brand new car at 20yrs of age....paid for by himself.

I mention it only to say that i totally understand where you are coming from and respect you (and my Son) immensley.....you and my Son give it 100%

However........neither he or you are protected from my taking of the yellow liquid, please take it as just banter, because i assure you thats all it is ;)

Your photo's are **** to!

chav professor

Reaction score
My lad had special needs all the way through school, his Mum and myself had to decide whether to send him to special school or mainstream, he now holds down a great job and last month took delivery of his first brand new car at 20yrs of age....paid for by himself.

I mention it only to say that i totally understand where you are coming from and respect you (and my Son) immensley.....you and my Son give it 100%

However........neither he or you are protected from my taking of the yellow liquid, please take it as just banter, because i assure you thats all it is ;)

Your photo's are **** to!

I'd be offended if you didn't:D

terry m

Reaction score
I have read the deadbaits with polystyrene or foam method before but have never had the need to use it.

The lure method is a good locator, but look for tell tales like grebes diving, or seagulls feeding on fry. For rivers, the slacks during the floods are obvious along with deep holes and slow glides.

But don't overlook fast gravel beds, especially when bordered by weed, I have pulled many pike from such unlikely areas.