rigly worms

moody

Reaction score
hello happy carpers (weathers a bit pants isnt it!)Does anyone know what happened to the humble earthworm as a bait ? does it have a place in modern carping ie chopped in bag mix or hook bait and if so how would you best present it on the hook?

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Hi Moody

I'm thinking about using worm when the weather decides to warm up a little. Was going to use simple float tactics in the margins with chopped worms as feed fed in either mole hill soil or some fish based groundbait. Would be using lob on the hook either chopped or whole with a simple peacock quill float fixed bottom end only with only one shot (BB or or more) 4-6 inches away from the hook.

I'll let you know how i get on.

moody

Reaction score
hello barbel novice ! thanks for the reply mate, it seems most carpers are not interested in such baits anymore ,but i bet they would try lob worm boilies ha ha! let me know how you get on because i think i may try a bottom bait presentation that im devising very soon which will involve lobs and chopped lobsmaybe in a p.v.a stocking not sure keep me posted!!!

TJD Notts

Reaction score
If you try chopped worm in a bag it will melt the PVA, sure i've read this somewhere before. Try chopping the worm and then adding a little groundbait to soak up the juices should work.

I fished a carp puddle in the middle of Feb and used worm when everyone else was using pellet. I outfished everyone on the day (always a good feeling) and ended up with something like 30lb for my efforts on a bitterly cold day that was only just above freezing!!!

I've been tinkering with a rig so that i can use worm instead of the traditional dog biscuit on the surface, just waiting for the right weather to give it a crack.

Worm will always catch, it may not be as selective as boillies, you have to dig it before using it (most carpers are lazy, i know as i can be too!) and not many people use it so it's got to be worth a crack.

moody

Reaction score
i like your thinking mate ! what are your thoughts on hooking ie hair rig ,straight onto a longshank, or even maggot clips? also size and tppe of worm? mmm worm on the top eh very very cunning !!!

TJD Notts

Reaction score
was thinking about mounting the worm direct (oo-er!) rather than trying to hair rig or anything else more complicated than it needs to be.

Hook will be something with a round wide gape anything between a size 12 for a redworm or 2 to a size 6 for a lobworm on the bottom.

I've got a compost bin at the bottom of the garden which is stuffed full of redworms and it only takes 20 minutes or so to get enough for a couple of hours fishing. I tend to lift some slabs at the bottom of the garden to find my lobs, you tend to only need 6-7 for a session (i only do short sessions and don't feed lobs only redworms chopped)

It's possible to bred dendrobenas i've been told so you could always buy a few tubs from your local tackle shop and set up your own wormery, cheap as chips then!

I can remember someone talking about using a pop-up and putting lobs on the hair over the pop-up, it ws called the octopus rig i believe but i can't remember who wrote about it.

moody

Reaction score
thanks mate interesting!to change the subject slightly, i was at a friend of mines place the other day and noticed he was feeding his pet lizard some very interesting grubs and bugs! all bought at the local pet shop .Of coarse my carpy mind was instantly stimulated (ooh er no change there then!)and wondered just what edge some of these creepy crawleys may give me,any thoughts maybe glue a cricket to a hook for surface work or something?

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

Hi Guys, let me answer a few of your questions.

I have used worm flavoured boilies in the past, I cant remember what the company was that did em but I thought they were unusual so I got a bag. I soaked them in ace lobworm extract and didnt get a sniff at all. The one thing that caused me some concern was how do you confirm they are worm flavoured boilies unless you have tasted worms ? I have also used chopped worm in the margins and yes they do melt pva bags but they dont melt a bait dropper. I usually mount my worms hair rig style on one of the larger maggot clips that carpers use to present maggots, with practice you can get at least 4 on a clip which is a big wriggly mouthfull. It also attracts anything else that swims so generally I would only cast a rig to a fish I could see.

Hope that helps.

moody

Reaction score
Thanks trev,i think you raise a good point about selectivity ! maggot clip sounds good idea havent tried using one yet ,i was thinking mainly for colder weather as i watched 8 bivvys in a row blank on boilies last weekend over 48 hrs!at tamar reservoir in cornwall and it was bitter as you know mate i felt a natural meaty morsol might give me the edge !

TJD Notts

Reaction score
I think it's worth trying different things as you never know. I only tend to fish with one rod and wander so don't experiment too much (nothing too risky) but if you've got multiple rods out and fish one with something out of the norm you not reducing your chances too much are you.

If in doubt try it out!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I've had some decent river fish, mostly chub, on a maggot clip loaded with dendrobenas, I also put one on the hook to disguise it a little.

Don't forget you can pop worms up by injecting them with a little air from a small bore syringe.

I think Van Der Eynde do a liquid worm flavour (probably others do too), you could combine this with chopped worm and a little groundbait, I'd probably go for a dark coloured one, until you've gota dry enough mix for PVA.

Or just use a wetter mix with a small open ended feeder.

moody

Reaction score
Cheers guys interesting stuff! i like the idea of injecting air into them,neutraly boyant worm oh yes sounds good to me its likr making a nice fillet steak hover infront of your mouth yum!yum! seriously though great idea mate ! and as barbel novice said if in doubt !!! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif