multiplier reels

moody

Reaction score
I have often thought that a good multiplier reel would be great for carping! they have great casting potentialand a controlable drag hold plenty of line look good and are reasonably priced! any thoughts? come to think of it an uptide rod would be pretty good to !

F

Frothey

retrieve rate too slow is about the only downside - they would be good for stalking.

only other problem is the rods have all got too few rings.... and who would buy a carp rod with 11 rings that start with a 20mm butt ring /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

moody

Reaction score
hi frothy! fair point mate do you think they would be better than a big pit reel for casting though? where i fish in devon (no i havent got a tractor) at upper tamar reservoir some of the boys are casting a hell of a way out because of the long shallow margins which stay at about 3 feet for 60 yards or more out?

C

Cakey

I fished the Tamar a fair few years ago now we had ooodles out of the margins

moody

Reaction score
could well be mate! lots of people go there now even though its 80 plus acres they all seem to fish regular swims high pressure !even this weekend there were about 15 bivvys up for over 48 hours nobody had a touch appart from the baliff bob(sound guy)he had two pasty's both about 7lb each !

F

Frothey

no it hasnt cakey, you can have them from under the tip....

have you had a chuck around with a marker moody? it shelves away quite quick after 15yds or soon the "opposite" bank on the other side of the dam wall.... but 3ft ismore than enough for fish to get into - likewise the bottom of the shelf is worth a look......

moody

Reaction score
cheers frothy il give it a try ! what kind of spod mix do you use so far ive only used mixed pellet with a few boilies and only seemed to pick up snottys and always at 3 am in the bloody morning!

F

Frothey

big windmills now as well cakey

dont use a spodmix, the bream wont be such a problem....

NEIL MANSELL

Reaction score
i don't think there will be much of a chance for multiplier reels in carp fishing apart from stalking. this is because if you are staying for the night it would mean going through the trouble of changing the drag to play the fish turning the rod the right way around and more importantly would mean redesigning carp tackle to suit the type of reel i think trhe fixed spool bait runner reels will be the nly type of reel for carp anglers who use more then 1 rod./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

moody

Reaction score
hi niel fair points there mate! just a thought due to the use of them in big cat fishing,but of course on reflection they are totaly different beasts!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif