Swans & Lead & NFA

R

Robert Woods

Last night I was looking through channel 4's teletext number 133. Please read as "we" are still poisoning 6,000 swans a year ???.I thought lead shot has been banned for 20 years. The swan rescue should revisit their figures and maybe look at other users of pellets ie;shotgun users.
Is this the case of the bigger the "lie" the more it is believed? Sounds like the antis are at work.

G

Gerry Castles

It has been banned for 20 years. Trouble is
there's an accumulation of the stuff still lying on the bottom of rivers, ponds and lakes, some still attached to line and hooks. That's not a rebuke, merely a fact of life.

A

Alan Roe

The SAA are aware of this issue and I am led to belive that they are in the process of putting together a considered response to this particular old cherry.

K

Kevan Farmer

I have not seen this on Teletext but it is in my local evening paper - Cannock Edition of The Express & Star. I rang the editorial team the very next day and put forward our point of view. I gave the facts as we know them about how lead has been banned and is not available. I also mentioned the facts about the number of lead shot discharged from one single shotgun cartridge - the shooting brigade will not like that but tough, we have to fight our corner. I pointed out the fact that the great majority of anglers are the unwritten custodians of the countryside, but, I did acknowledge that we have some bad apples as does every sport and pastime. I expressed my great upset at this article being completely one sided and requested a follow up with the anglers point of view put across. In all fairness the journalist I spoke to was very sympathetic and did say that they wanted a 'local' point of view. He also told me that this was a National Press Association release so it is possibly due to be run in a lot of other newspapers. Now I shall wait and see if there is a more balanced article printed. If not I shall not leave it at that. I will write a strongly worded letter to the editor claiming discrimination and bias. Let's see what happens.

Kevan

P

Phil Hackett

Batten down the hatches guys, there’s much more to come over this as the EA has just released a report they funded.
Visit this Report
and see for yourself.

K

Kevan Farmer

I'll check that website out on Sunday Phil. In the meantime I've looked at the Teletext pages. My first question is who are the NFA supposed to be representing? Us? Or the RSPCA and swan rescue centres! The have not backed up anglers in that report but have become apologists. Perhaps Graham could get a response from somebody senior in the NFA? I am angry. Very angry.

Kevan

C

Chris Bishop

They haven't become apologists - they're facing up to the fact there are certain areas where we need to get our house in order.

K

Kevan Farmer

I've looked at the website. It's the full version of what was in my local paper. I have e-mailed the author with some very strong words - but, kept polite with no expletives. I have pointed out the errors. Let's see what response I get. Perhaps others could also rattle off an e-mail about it?

Kevan

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=testingsp&v=1&UAN=1709>'Swans and Lead Poisoning'</A>