Opinion Piece ? The Close Season

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I think you need to do more research, Jeff. I was surprised to find that closed seasons for coarse fish fishing predate the Mudella Act by hundreds of years. These were on a much more local basis and were biased towards fixed engines and nets but the principle for conservation of stocks was established long before.

The problem with your free vote is that he who shouts loudest gets heard the most. Few anglers understand justy how low stocks are on rivers compared to well stocked lakes. We only get big catches on rivers due to the concentrations of fish atcertain times of the years due to seasonal migrations. In the Midlands there has long been a campaign to continue fishing through the spring for match fishing yet this activity could be the worst in the long term, and yet if the closed season were abandoned but keepnets barred from 1st March to 1st August the situation would probably be much better than the current one. Equally, much better and tighter management of vulnerable areas such as where barbel and chub are spawning - whether inor out of season - should be applied but I simply cannot see it happening in practice.

Personally I think the fishing in spring on rivers would be surprisingly patchy; that's because I have experience of it (Devon and Ireland)! Some fish are in excellent condition at the moment, othersreally need to be well left alone. A perch I caught three weeks ago (2/3) was almost ready to spawn yet chub are some weeks away from the same condition.

As for scientific evidence; it is hard to get objective results simply becuase there are so many variables, between stretches, angling pressure, predation, good years/bad years etc. Last summer was not especially good for river fishing yet the much better river fishing earlier this year demonstrated that the fish were still there.

W

Wolfman Woody

1st Para - Yes, but on a voluntary basis, what I would like to see and this ties in with your later view on tighter management of vulnerable areas. No arguments there.

What drives me insane is that the EA is doing nothing whatsoever and has not intention of doing anything to provide us with any evidence for or against.

In a court of law, if no evidence can be found or provided, the accused is allowed to walk free and do again as he pleases. NOT ANGLERS! We have to wear the ball and chain of a close season because no lazy SOB can be bothered to go out and find some evidence.

On top of all this, so-called experts come up with all the fairy stories (read article) about other reasons for keeping it. Talk about the mushroom method of keeping people in the dark, feeding them a load of sh*t and something might turn up?

It just makes me mad when somethign is promised and then withdrawn, and like you say Mark, on the strength that soem shout louder than others. Well I'm SHOUTING now.

My thanks to Graham for stitching together two articles that I wrote last year and never put them in. That's why it seems as if I'm repeating myself in some parts. It reads quite well in spite of this. So thanks Graham. Topical isn't it?

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

PS, I'm refusing to buy a licence so far this year because of these very reasons, but I am at the same time not fishing therefore not committing any offence.

Might go up Scotland and try there. Where's me kilt?

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Woody: There,s plenty of room for you mate up here. And your more than WELCOME to fish here with No problems what so ever. Just enjoy yourself if you ever come back.

F

Fred Bonney

If anglers are so concerned aboutnot havingclose season fishing,why not band together and get their own research done?

What about the manufacturers and retailers,are they bothered enough to put their hands in their troughs?

Fat chance!

Even if you all gave me that £1,it wouldn't be my first priority.

Why should the EA carry out the research,what's in it for them?

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

On top of all this, so-called experts come up with all the fairy stories (read article) about other reasons for keeping it.

Only fairy stories to those who want an open all year policy. I still say too much of a good thing will lead to a faster downfall in angling.

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney (ACA - BS) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

What about the manufacturers and retailers,are they bothered enough to put their hands in their troughs?

Fat chance!</blockquote>

Good point Fred.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Nice artice Woody

I haven't really digested the full lot yet as I am in a rush but Its good for our sport that this is debated.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Just like the way I fish I like to keep things simple.

So I ask myself a simple question: <u>what useful purpose does the closed season fulfill?</u>

Does it prevent anglers from fishing for in-spawn fish? No, for some species are in spawn before the season ends.

Does it stop anglers from trampling the banks? Yes, but everyone else tramples them regardless.

Does it cut off a regular supply of food (bait), crucial on some popular stretches? Yes it does, and at a time of year when it's needed most.

Does a closed season make opening day all the sweeter? Course it does, but you can impose your own closed season if that's important to you.

Has abandoning the closed season on stillwaters done them any harm? Apparently not, in fact they seem to be thriving better than ever.

Is having a closed season harming the tackle and baitindustry? It must have a detrimental effect, and a poor tackle and bait industry negatively affects all of us.

Sothe answer to the question:what useful purpose does the closed season fulfill?

I honestly can't think of a really useful purpose, although I can think of plenty of minor ones that were trotted out at the time when the closed season was abandoned on stillwaters.

And we all know what happened there; the vast majority of us are fishing away and thinking nothing about it - including those who went around wailing "the end is nigh!"

F

Fred Bonney

I just don't think it's worth pulling your hair out for.

Fish the still waters, after all , just think of the tench fishing you'll be missing, if you were onthe river begging for a bite

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

If the truth be known. This discussion has little to do with a closed season. It is more of a barbel debate.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Graham, much like Jeff you are tailoring the questions to beg the answers that you wish to hear!

so, let me have a go too:

1. Does it prevent anglers from fishing for in-spawn fish?
Basically, across the broard spectrum of river fish, yes it does. Granted that different fish spawn at different times in different parts of the Country, however the established closed season protects most species in most areas.

2. Does it stop anglers from trampling the banks?
Undoubtedly it does, and the majority of dog walkers keep to toe-paths and very few of them actually venture onto 'natural rivers for the reson that mostly the banks are 'private'

3. Does it cut off a regular supply of food (bait), crucial on some popular stretches?
How can you argue this point and agree that the rivers are suffering a downturn in the numbers of anglers using them?
The fact of the matter is that very little 'bait' goes into a river comapred to either the natural supply or the 'managed' stillwaters that we have now in abundance.

4. Does a closed season make opening day all the sweeter?
Absolutely!

5. Has abandoning the closed season on stillwaters done them any harm?
Be honest all of you. How many 'natural' stillwaters do we have left? Precious bloody few thats how many.
Most of them are totally managed, so no direct comparison is logical. It is however a dangerous argument inasmuch as whatever detrimental effect the loss of the closed season may have had on these venues we will never know as it is simply covered-up by restocking!

6. Is having a closed season harming the tackle and bait industry?
I assume you mean the maggot rearing indusrty as everything else is sold in far greater numbers to those fishing stillwaters in the traditional closed season.
I asked 2 maggot breeders who I know and have dealt with for about 14 years and neither of them have a problem, they simply reduce production (at a time of the year when keeping it at summer levels is very difficult) and have managed their businesses very well for over 25 years.

Jeff, it is amazing that over the past 5 years your arguments have not changed much at all, although the anger level seems to increase every year.
As Fred says, don't go getting all bent out of shape Jef, buy another license and fish on stillwaters and those canals where it is allowed.

As for the combined FACT-led unification process; the correspondence I have had with them over this issue (the Closed Season) confirms that no change will be sought for many years, and only then IF the EA are receptive.

E

EC

Nice to see you fully behind unification Peter!*

*runs away dead fast

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Both sides can tailor answers that suit their own agenda...

But lets get serious for a moment and answer the one single most important question

"Is the closed season gay?"

Abso-Bumming-Lootly!

F

Fred Bonney

I shouldn't worry Eddie,he's never used a cane in anger.

Baz...c/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifbblers

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
This is a constant argument with anglers firmly encamped on one side or the other and ne'er the twain shall meet. What neither side can produce is conclusive evidence that fish need this close season for protection, and furthermore they never will, to prove that it harms fish you would have to allow fishing all year round for a number of years to produce as evidence.

The only convincing evidence that I know of is that countries other than England and Wales don't seem to have a problem with the wholesale degeneration of their fish stocks because they don't have a close season., quite the opposite in fact. As for a licence to fish then yes, I agree that we should pay someting for our sport but let us not kid ourselves that if angling was banned tomorrow there would be no work carried out on our waterways, that is patently a nonsense. We pay a nominal sum as a form of tax and it doesn't even scratch the surface of the cost of maintaining our waterways so lets not kid ourselves that we are the sole benefactors of this service.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Well said Peter.

And I agree with Baz..........Excellant news.

My only real worry is what is going on when "We" are not there?

By that I mean fish thefts.

F

Fred Bonney

"but let us not kid ourselves that if angling was banned tomorrow there would be no work carried out on our waterways, that is patently a nonsense."

Are you sure Graham?

My guess is, if we wern't involved,our rivers would very soon be canals.