Barbel baits for this time of year

chris hall

Reaction score
Having not been able to get out too much for the Barbel this "summer"?? on the Ribble, I thought I would try to have a go at them during the Autumn. Does anyone here have any preference of baits at his time of year as there has been a few cold snaps of recent. All info gladly accepted as I have only really caught them on summers days when the weather was warm and dry. Remember those??
Chris

jasonbean1

Reaction score
dont know the ribble but at a guess either pellets or maggots...in the right place of course!

ask the locals in the your tackle shop...

good luck

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
In cooler water, esecially if it's clear, then I will almost always use maggots. Dead maggots work well and they can be flavoured easily if yo like. I often use them in a cage feeder using a pellet method mix mixed fairly dry as a carrier. This explodes out of the feeder and sends a nice pellety smelling cloud downstream.

trigga

Reaction score
dont know the ribble but at a guess either pellets or maggots...in the right place of course!

ask the locals in the your tackle shop...

good luck

Ted Carters or Tight Lines in Preston would be your best bet for local info. As the temperatures drop so does the fishes desire to feed - a single bait, be it a small pellet or boilie, wrapped in paste is a favoured method. Stay moblie and keep searching for the fish - fishing hour after hour in a biteless swim rarely pays off. Keep an eye on local weather forecasts too - more than any other river i have fished - the Ribble has 'mood swings' and it is advisable to track 'her' swings! ;)

chris hall

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far, really appreciate it. I have used maggots whilst fishing the Ribble,but the only ever attract the small stuff, causing the annoying twitchy rod tip. I think the weather causes a lot of bad days fishing as you say Trigga, and regardless of bait, if they don't want it they don't want it. But I will keep having a go non the less
Chris

garethdwatkins

Reaction score
Several people have told me that the Quest Baits Rahja Spice very effective. One of the guys I know fishes the Ribble and others the Trent and the Dove, all have told me they have been impressed by this bait in cold water.
I certainly want to give it a try & will be ordering some soon.
cheers
Gareth

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
If small fish are an issue then using plastc maggots works well. I fish one of the Drennan ones mag aligner style and put a couple of real ones on the hook. If small fish are a real pain then a couple of plastics are the way to go. Fish one mag aligner style and nick the other through the wrong (pointy) end. Make sure your hook sinks when you do this otherwise you get a lot of line twist.

guest61

Reaction score
If small fish are an issue then using plastc maggots works well. I fish one of the Drennan ones mag aligner style and put a couple of real ones on the hook. If small fish are a real pain then a couple of plastics are the way to go. Fish one mag aligner style and nick the other through the wrong (pointy) end. Make sure your hook sinks when you do this otherwise you get a lot of line twist.

Sean - re: earlier post how would you flavour maggots? I've never tried it but I'm interested.

trigga

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far, really appreciate it. I have used maggots whilst fishing the Ribble,but the only ever attract the small stuff, causing the annoying twitchy rod tip. I think the weather causes a lot of bad days fishing as you say Trigga, and regardless of bait, if they don't want it they don't want it. But I will keep having a go non the less
Chris

Weather/River conditions do play a big part in the chances of success and over the years i've learnt when not to bother - this season has been interesting as the massive floods we had early in the season has changed the profile of many areas - some banker swims of old are devoid of fish, while other areas are stuffed with 'em. I'll keep banging on about staying mobile untill i can't anymore, and even then i'll advise the whipper snappers to do it - the fish are there to be caught - go find them! I'll give it an hour, move, another hour, move again - keep moving and eventually - whack goes the rod tip and your in! If it doesn't you can console yourself with the thought that at least you have tried your best!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Dead maggots are easily flavoured. Riddle all the maize, sawdust, etc from your live maggots and place in a freezer bag. Put a good glugg of your chosen flavour in the bag, give it a good shake, seal it and place in the freezer. Alternatively you can put the maggots in the freezer unflavoured and add the flavour when you remove them from the freezer before use.

I tend to use the latter method now as I can then use a flavour which suits the fishing I'm going to do. Doing it this way is best if you're going to use the domestic freezer as flavours can contaminate other stuff in the freezer - green lipped mussel flavoured toast isn't the best start to the day!

The bad one

Reaction score
Give em' what they getting all year, pellet, pellet, pellet and more pellet!

As to what Sean says about maggot if that's the way you want to go, using live or deads won't be a problem from the end of the month, as the silvers have started migrating down river and are getting less and less in the areas that they've been dominant in all summer......well that's what they called it :confused:

The bad one

Reaction score
Matt you're an engineer you should know how :) Did you not do fluid dynamics in all that studying :confused: It's easy peasy for them ;)

nicepix

Reaction score
but how do they get back over the weir is what i want to know :confused:

If these little fellahs can do it...........

MinnowsHorizontalExtremeCloseup.jpg

MinnowsHorizontalFlying.jpg

(Taken on the Dearne about four years ago)

The bad one

Reaction score
That's a fantastic illustration of how Nicepix :);) Thank for putting them up.

On the weir Matt refers to it's more simple than all that effort. The weir has a drop of about 2 M, less in the middle as it's a slow V shape. As the water rises on a flood, and 2 M is achieved quite frequently on God's own river the Ribble :D because it's a Spate river. Further aided by the fact that below it is tidal and subjected to small tidal rises. More importantly though than the small tidal rise, is tidal holdup of escaping river water.
These factors facilitate a flattening out of the river as it goes over the weir. That's to say both sides of the weir become of equal depths of water.
When it's in this state and you were seeing it for the first time, the only indication you'd get that there was a weir there is the hump of turbulent water rising up. The greatest turbulence appears in the middle of the river.

Again in this state is where the Fluid Dynamics come into play. The Law of FD states there are 3 points in an open top channel where the flow will be slowest and less turbid. The bed and both sides. The reason for this is frictional drag. What the returning silvers do during the spring is cross the weir barrier by sticking as close to the the banks where the flow is slowest. It is here the effort needed to cross the barrier is where they need only to expend moderate energy to pass. Easy peasy really!

The other question that is likely to be asked from this is, "How do they know when the time is right to start the upward migration?" Well it your turn now to answer this, as I'm not doing all the work for you :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice pix nicepix

Phil one of the things you refer to is known as The Hydraulic Jump a phenomenon that occurs in open channel flow over an obstacle such as a weir.

Why do the silvers WANT to move down stream into tidal reaches? what's wrong with shoaling up where they are (where I WANT to fish :) )?

nicepix

Reaction score
That's a fantastic illustration of how Nicepix :);) Thank for putting them up.

On the weir Matt refers to it's more simple than all that effort. The weir has a drop of about 2 M, less in the middle as it's a slow V shape.

On the weir in the photo there is a small 'V' cut out of the lip. I've seen chub swimming up the tube of water that this creates. It must be too much for the minnows. They swim up and down under th lip rather like salmon do. I believe that they are testing the flow to find where is best to try and jump the weir. When they do jump and if successful they then have to swim over the apron of the weir. This is a smooth quarter-circular shaped stone where the flow is only an inch deep and therefore flows very fast indeed. At this point your thermo-nuclear-hydraulic theory kicks in. To watch them you can't belive that they won't be swept over the lip, but the wriggle like bu99erry and make their way over the 12" lip into the slower, deeper water and contnue their spawning run.

Of course on the way back all they have to do is stick their fins out and shout "Wheeeeeee!" Unless they were American in which case it would be "AWMYGODTHATSAWSOME!!!!!"

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Why do the silvers WANT to move down stream into tidal reaches? what's wrong with shoaling up where they are (where I WANT to fish :) )?

They are avoiding you. :wh

The bad one

Reaction score
Trust you to change the question around ;)
Anyway what you doing home at this time, thought you'd gone fishing ? Now you know you don't catch fish in daylight unless it up and coloured you need the dark lots of it, then you'll catch em' :D

BTW don't know why they migrate down to the tidal :confused: it's one of the mysteries that as yet is unsolved. But we can be safe in knowledge that they do and an understanding of half the puzzle.