spod and marker reel decisions?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
im just about to buy 2 new reels for spod and marker work and wondered what anybody thinks about the shimano aerlex xs 8000 models as there under £50 each in the shops now.

it seems good value!

did think about the daiwa emblem spod reel plus perhaps the daiwa emcast advanced for the marker rod but these 2 would be lots more money.

if you fish either what do you think please/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I use Daiwa Emblem 5500 reels on both my Spod and Marker rods and never had much of a problem with them at all.

Given the relatively sparse use that we employ for these type of rods then spending a fortune on these reels is not really justified.

A 'long cast' or big pit reel is ideal though.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
thanks for the reply peter.

i also dont think i should throw tons of money at them for the amount of use they will get but at £50-60 area to buy its not worth risking second-hand!

interesting that you are using those reels as i can get a good deal on a pair.

thanks....

F

Frothey

i've got an emblem on the spod and an aerlex on the marker - only because the clutch takes more turns on the emblem, which can be a bore when doing a lot of feature finding.

both also double up as my bass rods....

Mad Dog

Reaction score
thats a good practical point buddy on the clutch frothey that i wouldnt of known about/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

i was thinking future catfish missions on mine!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Frothey how did you end up with those 2 reels?

did you have one of them already or not then bought the other or did you buy them both at the same time?

based on the clutch remark would 2 aerlex be a safe bet then or not?/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

i'd like to say i thoroughly researched it, but i got them cheap off flea bay!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
does that mean your mix is better or are 2 x aerlex better?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Mad dog the Shimano Aerolex are good cheap work house reels and will serve you well. However you need to look for the following features from your reels to get the best from them in the long term.

1) Line clips need to be made from metal and not plastic and really need to be line freindly ie have no sharp edeges.

2) a good rate of line retreive is very useful especially for spodding.

3) Quick clutches are also a pleasure to use when using the Marker.

A good reel if you can find it is the Shimano GTX 8000 these are avaliable at very competative prices now.

Also get some braid especially for the marker rod 30lb berkley whiplash pro is good line and available for £17.99 for 300M from here

http://www.poingdestres.co.uk/GroupList/mcs/GroupID/10/GroupName/Fishing%20Line,%20Braid%20%26amp;%20Wire/v/87ddd24b-ca6d-40c8-98e7-788bf4103616

biomaster-gtx8000.jpg

Mad Dog

Reaction score
i did wonder if i should look for metal line clips as i have broke one in the past!-oops/forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif