Trace wire

P

Paul Williams

The supply of trace wire i have been using for along time has run out and i can't get it anymore, rather than goe through all the ones on the market to find a replacement can you guys recommend any ? and have you had problems with any ? cheers

S

Simon Ford

Either try a kevlar based trace or drennan 7 strand.
The kevlar trace won`t kink like wire will plus it`s softer so theres less chance of a fish feeling the trace

S

Stewart Bloor

I've not been pike fishing too long but have been using Drennan 7 strand from the beginning with no problems. So my philosophy is, if it ain't broken don't fix it....

S

Simon Ford

I`ve used Drennan 7 strand for many years before i found out about kevlar traces and the two main problems were kinking and coiling up when you had a floating treble. I also found it better not to use crimps but tread the treble on to the wire and put the short end in a pair of forceps you then hold the treble and other end of wire and spin the forceps around the wire making a nice tidy coil around the main wire you won`t pull it free unless you havn`t got enough wraped around(more than 6 should be adequate) when i used to use crimps i found that they weakened the wire by about 25%.With kevlar based trace wire i found thtt a four turn grinner is the best knot and knots only weaken the trace by 5-10%

P

Paul Williams

I don't have a problem making up the traces, i've been making them up for over 28 years, it's just that i was very happy with a particular brand that i can't get anymore (though i suspect it's still about in a different guise) and after running out of my stock i have to find a new one or find the old one. When's Budgie coming back? bet he'd know.

C

Chris Bishop

One to avoid is Fox Easy Twist in 20lb - kinks up after every fish.

Easy Twist in 30lb is fine - supple and strong. It's also thinner than some lighter wires.

I half hitch it through the botom hook and use a crimp to keep the tag end tidy.

Top hook is atached via a knotless knot, swivel same as bottom hook.

Whichever method you use slide an inch of silicon over the eye of the bottom hook to stop it floppong about and make saure you snip the tag end flush at the swivel end to stop it catching round the main line.

P

Philip Inzani

Paul, I have looked at Kevlar traces in the past but could not knot them. I now use either Drennen or Fox wire. However!....I have just come across some "new" traces over here that I am considering. I dont know if its Kevlar or wire or whatever but what I do know is that although its breaking strain is 7KG (nominal stated strain not tested by me) its so thin and supple that I would almost be happy using it for Perch. Its ready spliced so will be easy to attach hooks to as well.

I have only just come across it and so have not used it yet but I would be happy to send some in the post to you to look at if you want. This is a dual purpose offer really as I would apprecaite someone elses opinion on it for my own benefot as well. If your interested let me know your address and I will bung some in the post...I think you have my email already.

M

Mike Fidler

Paul, how about a trace making session on your next installment of my way with pike?

A

Andrew Calvert

Would have posted earlier, but had technical probs. I've used both the Fox wire and Drennan Seven strand, neither of which I was particularly impressed with. I do however like the Leeda Predator wire in 30lb, although the hooks in this range are Uri Geller specials and the crimps are equally rubbish. The 30lb Leeda is actually made by Marvic, it's very, very fine for it's breaking strain, and it's not under rated to achieve this. It can be twisted, but I've never had any problems when using Drennan 15-28lb crimps with it. It's also very reasonably priced (Approx ?6 for 30m) and if you're like me and change traces after every fish or cut them to aid unhooking this is a benefit. Although it doesn't kink badly if you do wish to use it for a couple of fish.

P

Philip Inzani

Thought I would re-new this thread as Chris Bishop kindly sent me some Caliber wonder wire and I have to say I am initially really impressed. I have not used it but its really got to be one of the most supple wires I have come across. Chris lay be able to comment more on its durability/ease of use as I have a feeling that it won't take much abuse but if its suppleness your after then the 15 pound stuff is amazing.

C

Chris Bishop

It arrived - brilliant...

I'd only reccommend it for zandering as it's so fine and supple. It's literally more like cotton than wire and I reckon you'd bust it if you tried to stop a lump on it.

The 25lbs Caliber is a totally different wire, which is actually slightly thicker than 30lb Fox without being much suppler.

It's big advantage is it doesn't always need changing after every fish, but to be honest I almost always do this. The only times I've ever had problems with traces, hooks etc is when I've been lazy or asked too much of them. The words "that'll do" have probably caused more lost fish than the rest of the English language put together.

I've found the 15lb Caliber knots up ok, but still use the half hitch/crimp and knotless knot to attach hooks. The 25lb is hard to knot and won't hold a twist either, so you have to crimp it.

What was the wire Paul, was it Marlin strand or Steeldtrand..? Someone told me this has come back onto the market in a different guise. Cabelas in America might be worth checking out as they do all kinds of hooks, braids, wires etc you can't get at twice the price over here.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Hi Paul and all,I am soon to be in the same predicament!My supply of Marlin Steel is nearly gone.I have been considering what to change to ever since my supply source dried up! My mate has been using QED for many years now and as we often fish together I have taken an interest in how it has performed.Despite it being a lot thicker than Marlin Steel it is certainly more resistant to damage and kinking etc.Its thickness don't bother the Pike either.This is proberbly what I will eventually switch to.The only other wire that I have felt deserves a trial is the Wonder Wire.My only problem with this is that I do not like crimped traces.Constructing traces with this wire without using crimps is a lot longer job.Oh,If their is any one else out there who liked Marlin Steel but can no longer get it,keep your eyes open for a wire line in the sea angling department called Tide Cheater it comes in a wide range of BS's and is very similar.

C

Chris Bishop

Buy one of the sea mags Budgie - cheap braid, wire, rig bits etc at half the price of designer label freshwater kit.

I'd heard Marlin Steel was back in a new guise but local tackle shop couldn't help.

R

Rob Brownfield

I was a big fan of Marlin Steel as well. I am using Drennan 7 strand just now, and its ok, but I am still looking for something else.
As for sea mags, yep....braid is much cheaper in them, as are *big pit reels*