cheap ebay lures

nicepix

Reaction score
The hooks aren't very good. OK for a while but they rust quickly and are made of finer wire than I would like.

terry m

Reaction score
Sure they will catch, but maybe not as effective as some other makes.

If your budget limits you to using these then fine, go for it. The advice regarding finer wire hooks is a great point (pardon the pun). The day you wind in straightened hooks after a tumultuous battle will teach you all you need to know.

Let us know how you get on.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi,
It's not just the hooks (which by the way are awful!) on these cheap lures but most of them are just copies made to look like other brands and no thought what so ever has gone in to the design, ie, they do not swim properly and are made from inferior materials!
Do yourself a favour and keep your money in your pocket, have a look on Harris sportsmail, they have loads of lures for use on the canal, they have the salmo range on offer starting at around £4.00 at the mo :)

---------- Post added at 06:56 ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 ----------

Take a look at AGM products, AGM Products - Lures and lure fishing tackle at great prices They have loads of ''branded'' lures at very good prices :)

nicepix

Reaction score
I disagree with the last post. I got a job lot of these lures when they were running multiple auctions overnight. It was possible to by three for 7 cents with reasonable postage charges. I've still got a lot left.

I've tried them all and the best thing about them is their action. They do swim well. And the divers do go down a long way. On the negative side the hooks aren't very good and the paint scratches much more easliy than Rapala lures.

On the whole they are as good as the three quid nameless lures you get at tackle shops and if you can change the hooks then they will catch and hold fish. I've had trout, perch, pike, zander, bass and catfish on mine. As you say, the straightening of the hooks is the biggest worry.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would sooner buy branded lures against ''no name'' Ebay **** anyday and would sooner pay that little bit extra for something I know is going to be of good quality and built to last!

nicky

Reaction score
haven't bought any lures yet but had a session this morning with some old lures i had lying around, which i put new hooks on.

Best fun i've had in ages fishing an unknown to me canal didn't even know if there were pike in there me and my mate had 1 each and missed about three or four each great fun.

The ones i missed were on rubber shad type lures with a single hook dont think they had the hook in their mouth half the time.

Changed to a floating plug with a really small vein shallower diver and caught straight away.

The canals very small compared to what you guys are used to about 2-3ft deep and narrow, could see the bottom most of the time wouldnt have believed there were so many fish in there.
need to make sure any lures I buy work about a foot under the water

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice one Nicky,

The canal I fish - concentrate on perch- is pretty cloudy - has the highest density of boat traffic on the system apparently!! Depth of canal in centre between 3 and 4 ft

Not much of an issue when we fish with lures which is after first frosts. We have found that we get as many(if not more) takes from the middle of the cut than fishing to that fabulous American term "structure". Also virtually inch the lure along the bed. I mainly use single and double tail rubbers with a relatively light head - most successful colours being white or shades of yellow.

Last edited:

nicky

Reaction score
definitely going to buy some more lures.
Got another trip to america soon with work so think i might get some braid from walmart as well.

nicepix

Reaction score
I would sooner buy branded lures against ''no name'' Ebay **** anyday and would sooner pay that little bit extra for something I know is going to be of good quality and built to last!

Thats fine if you can afford to pay six or seven quid for a named lure. Some people can't, or can't justify paying three times the price for something that is in effect disposable. Fishing snaggy swims for example. I have both and I would rather risk one of my eBay specials than a Rapala when fishing amongst the anchored fishing boats in Paphos harbour. As long as you are aware of the limitations they are fine for the money. Fish don't seem to insist on a famous brand and imitations are far better and nearer to the originals these days than in the past.

Nicky, have you considered fly fishing? In shallow water a pike fly can be deadly owing to the pulsating movement of the fibres.

nicky

Reaction score
no thats one thing i have never tried but i bet it would work

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

you shouldn't put ideas in my head lol ill be adding fly rod to my christmas list next

Reaction score
don't go there nicky...I started with one....and now I've three - including a travel rod that can be either a 7ft 4wt or a 9ft wt....and I'm shiite at fly casting (not enough practice really)

nicky

Reaction score
haha you know what its like this fishing mallarky tackle collecting is never ending

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats fine if you can afford to pay six or seven quid for a named lure. Some people can't, or can't justify paying three times the price for something that is in effect disposable. Fishing snaggy swims for example. I have both and I would rather risk one of my eBay specials than a Rapala when fishing amongst the anchored fishing boats in Paphos harbour. As long as you are aware of the limitations they are fine for the money. Fish don't seem to insist on a famous brand and imitations are far better and nearer to the originals these days than in the past.

Nicky, have you considered fly fishing? In shallow water a pike fly can be deadly owing to the pulsating movement of the fibres.

Six or seven quid!...It depends on where you get your lures from mate, and what brand you buy! Everybody thinks that when you mention ''brands'' you mean Rapala!

Oh, and you need to know how to fish the lures to avoid loosing them ;)

nicepix

Reaction score
Six or seven quid!...It depends on where you get your lures from mate, and what brand you buy! Everybody thinks that when you mention ''brands'' you mean Rapala!

Oh, and you need to know how to fish the lures to avoid loosing them ;)

Please tell me how I will be able to avoid all those unseen underwater snags where the bass lie. The sunken ropes, from long abandoned mooring anchors covered with grey-green algae that reach up and snatch my lures. The semi-filled 5 litre bottles that had been used as floats on the moorings that now lay sticking off the bottom. The abandoned fishing nets. Oh, and while you are at it, please let me know how I can train the bass not to go near the anchor ropes and snag the trailing hook on them. Strange how the bass can then get off, but the rope can't.

I would imagine the Caerphilly Canal is just like that - without the ambience, sunshine and bass that is.

schwendy2

Reaction score
Check out forums for some quality lures at good prices. Many members sell unused or lightly used lures.

The pikers pit and las forums spring to mind but sure there will be others.

As mentioned chek out harris they are always having offers on.

Avoid the cheap tat