Course Angling Today magazine

Deanos

Reaction score
I have to admit that I love reading fishing mags. There are really only one or two that I wont open my wallet for (which shall remain nameless).One thing I look for is at least a little info that will help me to fish the Northern spate rivers with a little more success.

Course Angling Today caught my eye first of all because “Wol” is on the front with a giant perch!….I honestly get a big kick out of seeing any of the guys pics/articals up in the angling press, also quite honoured that we on the site have access to ask the top boys for a bit of help and advice when needed, anyway, a fantastic Perch Wol!Inside I was “over the moon Brian” to read a brilliant article for any inexperienced Northern angler, who like myself is trying to get to grips with the likes of the river Swale.

I am not sure if the author of the article (Dean Brook) visits FM, but if not, and anyone knows him, please pass on my thanks for this article. I look forward with tons of optimism to the new season with the info this article has given me alongside the wealth of knowledge on FM itself.Also inside it has some brilliant articles from Len Arbery and Tony Miles.

The icing on the cake is a letter from my good mate Brendan Ince (Brendan and myself decided that enough was enough, and the “war of the roses” had to stop at some time, so went fishing together and had a reet good time!).

Stef Horac had an article in last months C.A.T, where basically he played devils advocate on a number of topics, and Brendan has replied in what I think is a very civilised and constructive manner….so now watch this space!FM is the top angling site on the net, and its influence reaches over into much of the angling press.

The magazine is really worth a chuck, and I hope Brendan might expand on his reply via this thread, then those who never read Stefs original article may wish to put a comment up.Brendan, order plenty of garlic nan breads mate…I am coming over the border to Lancs on Saturday evening.

Regards to all Deanos.

G

Gary Knowles

'Kin 'ell, Wol on the front cover...has that publication got no standards.....

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

A much classier pic on the cover of Coarse Fisherman though Gary! I enjoyed your piece about the need for perspective in what constitutes aspecimen fish.

Mark,I take it you are referring to some big "roach" of theceltic persuasion.I really cannot make my mind up on those.Some definately have the look of roach/rudd hybrids but others less so.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I find CAT hard to get hold of and I'm too tight to shell out for a subscription.

N

Nathan Ball

Try looking in WHSmiths - they usually have all kinds of fishing mags

Reaction score
ok it took me the best part of a day to write my letter . As you might off guessed spelling is not something i am good about ? So I wrote wot i wonted to say and then wrote and rewrote every paragraph with a dictionary by my side
The reason i wrote into C.A.T is because of Stef Horak article in the march issue where he calls a angler who he doesnt name who goes fishing 40 or so hours a week and has only caught 20 doubles he calls people who night fish and says it is the only way some bad anglers can catch a fish ? aswell as a few other things
The way i looked at it is if someone is lucky enough to go fishing 40 or 50 hours aweek he is obviously enjoying himself ? So does it matter if he not pulling out double after double ?
As for night fishing it is my favorte time to fish if that makes me a bad angler so be it ?
I like to read Tony Miles articles and think they are spot on i do like the way he fishis ( Tony if you read this please email me a invite to go fishing with you ?)
I am on quite a big buzz atm as this is the first ever time i have wrote to any magazine and low and behold i get it published . Just the thourt of alot better anlers then me taking a few mins of there time to read wot i have wrote makes me feel happy

F

Fred Bonney

You shouldn't even think about putting yourself down Brendan.

Plenty of people I'm sure on here, read what you have to say. It may take a bit of a re-read sometimes,but it's still worth the while.

Keep it up.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"A much classier pic on the cover of Coarse Fisherman"

Cant bear to look if its Gary, me next to him on the sameshelf, Charcoal n tit, dear oh dear. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Sad to say that it is indeed him, Wol.

The newsagentI got them from had put them on the top shelf withthe real tits for fear of frightening small children.

N

NomadPaul

After seeing Wol's 'made-up' picture recently , i was wondering if the 'T' in CAT stood for Tranny ?/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Thanks for the reminder, looks like KC has cocked up my subscription, again! I had forgotten that it's usually out by this time of the month. There's never ever any fear of Kevin passing on secret locations etc, he has a worse memory than a 4 bit computer.

Having said that CAT is probably one of the better angling publications, in fact I didn't realise justwhat a quality magazine I had been taking for the last 7-8 years until my son brought a copy of IYCF magazine into hospital for me; hard to tell which pages were articles and which were adverts.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Wol n Barney on the front cover?

No wonder i could find either on the shelves!

CAT and CF, the best two mags we now have, and the hardest to get hold of!!

Reaction score
Coarse Angling Today and Pike & Predator have been muscled out of all my local newsagents (including Smiths) by an enlarged range of DHP and Emap publications.

On the plus side I can now get Total Sea Fishing which is obviously useful in Warwickshire.

Won't the world be a brilliant place when all you can get is magazines from the major houses...