Fishing in an electrical storm.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A picture for those that don't think there's anything to worry about (and possibly the best advert for split cane or fibreglass that I've seen;):D).
404249770.jpg

bennygesserit

Reaction score
This should be a caption competition , which of course I have already won !

guest61

Reaction score
I can't guarantee it being genuine but I nicked it from Eric's Angling's Facebook page. I suspect it is genuine.

I would have thought that the rod pod, the rest of the rods and the surrounding area would have been blasted if it was genuine.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I would have thought that the rod pod, the rest of the rods and the surrounding area would have been blasted if it was genuine.

Well, I can't say for sure and don't feel any particular compunction to convince anyone either way. However, if lightning strikes left blackened blast marks everywhere they touched down, there'd be blackened buldings, masts, chimneys, rooftops and earth all over the country.

laguna

Reaction score
See how they're pointing at the clouds?

Cloud-to-ground lightning
As a channel of negative charge, called a step leader nears the ground it is attracted to a channel of positive charge reaching up, a streamer, normally through something tall, such as a tree, house, or telephone pole (or in this case carbon conductors) is created. When the oppositely-charged leader and streamer connect, a powerful electrical current begins flowing. A return stroke of bright luminosity travels about 60,000 miles per second back towards the cloud.

This streamer might explain why the rod ends are fried and not the butts and pods because the lightning never hit the ground!