Plans to set up community angling club at park lake

Reaction score
My Auntie Vera lives in Acton Park.....I must visit her more often (its also only a 15 drive from some of better reaches of the Dee (patrolled by Baz and his Bazettes!). And not that far from Harthill or the Shroppie, llangollen and Montgomery canals.

Wonder if Auntie Vera wants a lodger????

Might even tempt Deanos away from Auntie Kathleen (which is my mother's name...is there something she hasn't told me???)

The bad one

Reaction score
On the face of it looks good for the park and angling….. yes?

But here’s the rub, without the Friends group or Com. angling club the council can’t access the grant funding, the rules don’t allow them.

So what they do is set up a nodding dog body, Friends group Com angling Club, they (groups) apply for the grant, the council then carries out its predetermined plan, cajoling, bullying and in some circumstances threatening the groups into supporting it. There is no “meaningful consultation” with the users, residents about what they want, it the council’s plan only. They may even commission and so-called independent environmental charity to run this process for them e.g Groundwork. However is the local Groundwork really independent? Well no, as the local council(s) have seats on the boards and Groundwork are reliant on the councils for some or all of their funding.

Don’t bite the hand that feed you perhaps?

Interesting, the big independent grant funding Charities have rumbled the scam the councils are up to and are refusing to fund such projects. However, the Lottery Heritage Fund despite being told this by groups and those charities, still refuse to do anything about it.

Now ask yourself this, “Should Lottery Funding be used to fund work which should be carrying out by Councils?”

The Bad One Chair of Brookdale Park Users Group for the last 15 years.

Not a nodding dog body!

William Burns

Reaction score
I live 10-15 minutes walk from action park and have pleasure fished there for years but never caught thelarge tench or bream.A mate of the bowling club I'm in who lives opposite the Action mentioned the other day theywere using large nets there,unsure why.

Will the younger generationappreciate what they are trying to do for them as with living in Wrexhm I know what it's like to live in this area,even my partner is scared to go to the local shop due to hoodies.I think they would benifit rather than hanging around shops and street corners being bored