Trotting rod

dalesman

Reaction score
Right my Drennan Drx rod has been damaged beyond repair :mad: (thanks nephew) so looking for a quailty rod for trotting and and still water roach fishing.

Any ideas lads, budget about a ton for a new 13' rod :confused:....And i know the Normark lads are going to shout they already have the best:eek:mg:

guest61

Reaction score
There's a good choice around that price. I suggest that you go and waggle a few of the usual suspects, Drennan, Shimano, Preston, Korum, Shakespeare - I have and rate highly the Preston Excel 13ft (which you can probably get a deal on now they've been superceded). See what other suggestions there are; note, the thread on 'Chub Rods' has thrown up a few makes that I'd have never considered, but its down to personal choice, comfort, price etc..

aebitim

Reaction score
Right my Drennan Drx rod has been damaged beyond repair :mad: (thanks nephew) so looking for a quailty rod for trotting and and still water roach fishing.

Any ideas lads, budget about a ton for a new 13' rod :confused:....And i know the Normark lads are going to shout they already have the best:eek:mg:

Playing nearly the same game, looking for a rod for river work and thinking 14ft, the im 9 3piece did stirling service but died by my own hand, Shakespear mach 3 looking favorite at the mo, but am waiting for a waggle of the 16ft version. Would love another Normark but seems I am too heavy handed for fine rods . . .

trotter2

Reaction score

Hi mate when you say trotting is it stick float fishing or big avons and chubber floats because it makes a hell of a difference as to which rod you go for.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Mainly chubbers and avons, mainly because the river swale is to swift for most sticks.

I'd use a powerful 11ft to 12ft long rod with a through action and a test curve of at least 1lb depending on the current. Fish can get pretty powerful in a strong flow.
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score
Mainly chubbers and avons, mainly because the river swale is to swift for most sticks.

Do you wish to see a selection before you move to pastures new?;)
Pretty much any time after Friday. I'll be a man of leisure for a while.

dalesman

Reaction score
Sam been looking for a beast master but cant find one at a descent price as for the oval one you had shown me, Yes please but the wife would kill me.:eek:mg:

I am on Andys or Woodlands one day next week, doing a bit of method.

Plus its looks like I am becoming a man of leasure as myself and 6 english lads have lost our jobs to a bunch of eastern europeans:mad:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam been looking for a beast master but cant find one at a descent price as for the oval one you had shown me, Yes please but the wife would kill me.:eek:mg:

I am on Andys or Woodlands one day next week, doing a bit of method.

Plus its looks like I am becoming a man of leasure as myself and 6 english lads have lost our jobs to a bunch of eastern europeans:mad:

Give me a shout when you go. Barring Thursday, I'm off fishing out of Bridlington for my leaving do, I'm not doing a lot.
Which model of Beastmaster are you looking for?

P.S. I may just be able to help out with a 14' Fast Action Aerocast.;)

trotter2

Reaction score

Yes I know the venue very well:).
I use a Youngs trotting rod, its like a beefed up stick float rod. Not the lightest rod ever but the action is perfect for those big nasty swale chub. Get into the tackle shop and have a wiggle of one. It has a fast tippy action for hitting the fish at range but has plenty of power in the butt and mid sections .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If your looking to buy a modern rod off the shelf it might be worth looking at the drennan specimine float rod or something a bit less beefy...a drennan tench float rod.
If you can look round for a second hand rod there's loads of decent rods to go at, drennan im8 specimine float rods are an excellent rod.
If you can scrape up a bit more coin get yourself a normark avenger :).

keora

Reaction score
I recommend the Drennan matchpro range, although the 13 and 14 ft models are pricey at around £130 to £145

Drennan International

The stronger version (matchpro float) can be used with line up to 5lb or possibly 6, according to the Drennan website. I think it should be fine for the Swale.

I've just bought the lighter 14ft matchpro ultralight which can be used for lines up to 4lb. I'm using it for dace and grayling fishing on the Yorkshire rivers. It's very light and has a crisp action - I've had a few perch up to 2lb 10oz since I bought it.

Last edited:

dalesman

Reaction score
Give me a shout when you go. Barring Thursday, I'm off fishing out of Bridlington for my leaving do, I'm not doing a lot.
Which model of Beastmaster are you looking for?

P.S. I may just be able to help out with a 14' Fast Action Aerocast.;)

Tuesday or Wednesday good for me, pm me. You giving up on the areocast?

dalesman

Reaction score
Not at all, I bought one of the 14' FA rods second hand when it looked like I wasn't going to find a new one. I then found a shiny new one, so now I have two 14' FAs.

So its now 3rd hand and you have to let me know about folding stuff required?;)

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I still keep looking at the 14'0 one Sam, it's justifying a second trotting rod to SWMBO when I only fish 3-4 times a month and only perhaps once on a river.
As discussed before, it's a good price but I need a decent feeder rod first:(

dalesman

Reaction score
Sam.

Thanks for the Areocast only wished I packed some floats and a reel, it warmed up a little after you left and redfins where being caught midwater, but still ended up with a dozen fish to a pound on the feeder.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have recently taken a good look at the new Preston Absolute rods and I am now smitten with the 12ft Special float, it really is a cracking rod and although expensive it must be one of the best light rods I have ever handled (the 13ft special is nice too!) just the tool for light trotting on small intimate rivers for Roach and Grayling :)