Cancer causing dyes used in fishing

R

Roto Fryer

whist reading up on maggot making facilities i found the following statement.

"Several dyes used in bait breeding are suspected carcinogens (substances that cause cancer). Auramine and rhodamine are known to cause cancer in animals. Chrysoidine dyes cause cancer in animals and have been shown to cause cancer in coarse fishermen. Although these and other dyes do not carry the R45 risk phrase "may cause cancer" under the Classification, Packaging and Labelling of Dangerous Substances Regulations 1984 they should be handled as if they carried the risk phrase...."

These substances used in maggot making are known to cause cancer in animals and some even known to cause cancer in coarse fishermen yet they don't carry a health warning!!!!

Am I missing something here?

Here is a paper from the health and safety executive stating that these substances are known to cause cancer yet they don't see that they have to tell people!!

for the full text you can read it here. Yes it is a government website!!

F

Fred Bonney

Looks like a 1992 report to me.
I think some of those additives, at least, were removed from maggot production.
Certainly Chrysoidine was.

R

Roto Fryer

yup didn't check the dates scary stuff all the same.

Sole, G. & Sorahan, T. (1985) Coarse fishing and risk of urothelial cancer. Lancet, i, 1477-1479.

it was known about many years before

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
" . . . . were removed from maggot production.
Certainly Chrysoidine was."

Yes, gone are the good old days when it took you from Sunday's match until the next Friday to wash that stuff off your hands

The Monk

Reaction score
yes it was back in the late sixties early seventies that stuff

R

Roto Fryer

yes monk but that paper was from thwe 90's and i didnt bother to look at the date lol

F

Fred Bonney

Those ol'boys whowarmed the maggots in theirlips suffered a bit!

G

Ged

Cannot produce bronze maggots now like they used to since Chrysoidine was banned.

R

Roto Fryer

sod putting maggots in my mouth lol thats too much yuk /forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif

Joey

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Roto Fryer wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>sod putting maggots in my mouth lol thats too much yuk /forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif</blockquote>
100% protein, puts hairs on your chest. Sometimes I think all you modern anglers are faggots.

N

NomadPaul

Wasn't it the great matchman Clive Smith who passed away from cancer that was possibly linked to maggot dyes ?

The Monk

Reaction score
many of us put maggots in our mouth, the problem was if things were slow you forgot about them and only realised after you`d eaten your sandwiches/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

"These substances used in maggot making are known to cause cancer in animals and some even known to cause cancer in coarse fishermen yet they don't carry a health warning!!!!"

The problem was -

Stamping the little blighters with the warning message. Making the stamps small enough and getting the maggots to lie still whilst you applied the stamp. Also, far too many maggots burst because of the heavy handedness of the farm girls that were employed to carry out the procedure.

Insert a few /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

G

Ged

You forget to mention Woody that fish can see the writing on the stamped maggots and therefore would reject them.

Reaction score
I think youll find that chysodine wasn't banned as such it was a voluntry withdrawl, a certain shop i went in still used it in the late 90's.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"sod putting maggots in my mouth lol thats too much yuk"

I used to fish a lot of matches in the early season when I lived in in Norway, damn cold early April, and the maggots would go into a sort of hibernation due to the cold.

But, slip your hook maggies into the mouth for a few minutes and hey presto, nice wriggling enticing hook bait - worked to me.

Mind you, an involuntary cough would result in a funny feeling in the tummy for about an hour . . . . .

R

Roto Fryer

ive fished off and on for 40 years and have not resulted to warming the maggots up in my mouth yet! mind u ive put just about everything else in my mouth whilst fishing!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Most if not all of the shops in Birmingham still used chrysodine for bronze maggots right up until I left there in 1995 and probably long after. Clive Smith's death was <u>reputedly</u> caused by chrysodine it was never proven and when you think of all the match anglers (and therewere thousands of them in the midlands alone) who also used chrysodine maggots along with shop assistants and owners who applied the stuff to the maggotsbut never suffered the same fate perhaps you can understand why the angling world doubted the claims.

There are a multitude of seemingly innocent products that <u>may</u> cause cancer or have carcinogenic properties and chrysodine was one that the so calledexperts latched onto, and I daresay many of those self same prophets of doom smoked away happily whilst writing their reports.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
I bought a lurcher pup to bring on forlamping some years ago. For some weird reason she would always pinch any maggot she could find going as far as to pinch and chew tubs open to get them. I always used red maggot. (Rhodamine)

She died of cancer at 8 months old. The vets took a second lot of tests because they didnt believe the results of the first lot. They said they had never seen a young dog with so many tumours.