Old fishing methods that have fallen out of fashion

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
After my thread about swing tip rods , what other fishing methods have fallen out of fashion but would still work today?
From fly fishing - does anyone still catch may flies and use them for "dapping"

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After my thread about swing tip rods , what other fishing methods have fallen out of fashion but would still work today?
From fly fishing - does anyone still catch may flies and use them for "dapping"

I still fish with live grasshoppers that may grandson catches on the Dap or with a bubble float this was very popular when I was a youngster mainly for the rudd that were plentyful in the sand pits in my area in those far of days . It still catches fish and as long as there are grass hoppers always will. You can also get some nice big insects in the reptile shops ideal for chub on the rivers and streams.

barbelboi

Reaction score
You don't see many treble hooked boiled potatoes being used for carp these days;)
Jerry

PS Stret pegging works well in the right conditions but it's a long time since I've seen it used by others.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I usually try to have a couple of sessions per season Dapping for Dace and/or Rudd.

I don't catch live flies though preferring to use a simple bushy black pattern in relatively small sizes.

Sourcing a proper dapping line is becoming a task in itself too.

Stret Pegging is another method i try to give an airing to during the season.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone still use perch bobbins for float fishign for perch

Yes, I've got a few made by various float makers but they are rarely used to be honest.

When I fancy a "Crabtree" day then one of the Perch floats gets put onto a MkIV Avon rod with a centrepin reel, a bait box of worms and I'm off.

We have had a decent run of large(ish) Perch on the Hampshire Avon in the past couple of seasons, so maybe this Autumn I'll get a half a day on the river . . . . . .

guest61

Reaction score
Anyone still use perch bobbins for float fishign for perch - I've got 2 old ones in my tackle box - not used for years but I keep them for some reason

No, but they do bear an uncanny 'likeness' to some Sensas Bolo floats that I own.

The Perch bobbers that I once owned as a youngster had the body of the 'bob' half painted in flourescent paint. I assumed that's where they were intended to be shot down to, I appreciate that in use for Perch you would be suspending a large bait beneath it, sadly I fished for any species with them usually with maggots as bait, I have vivid memories of the float 'shaking' only to find a small dace self hooked on reeling in :eek:mg:

peterjg

Reaction score
What about laying-on in a river - in the right swim and conditions it is a really enjoyable and effecient method.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
The Perch bobbers that I once owned as a youngster had the body of the 'bob' half painted in flourescent paint. I assumed that's where they were intended to be shot down to, I appreciate that in use for Perch you would be suspending a large bait beneath it, sadly I fished for any species with them usually with maggots as bait, I have vivid memories of the float 'shaking' only to find a small dace self hooked on reeling in :eek:mg:

Those floats are now much sought after. The only float you can use, without mucking around taking shot off and on, to fish a whole lobworm, half or even just a tailend. You can even lip hook a small fish on without altering anything.Some things were light years ahead of their time.

Float ledgering, still a deadly method for shy fish.

goonch

Reaction score
You don't see many treble hooked boiled potatoes being used for carp these days;)
Indeed. These days you have to travel across the Atlantic to see treble hooks being used for carp.

Those Yanks, always 50 years behind us :D

aebitim

Reaction score
Anyone still use perch bobbins for float fishign for perch - I've got 2 old ones in my tackle box - not used for years but I keep them for some reason

Odly enough I bought some the other day at Value house , made by fladen, but havent used them yet as the stour is still to couloured to be worth fishing. [the Dorset one]

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I ordered two of his superb Fishing Gazette Pike Bungs on September 23rd and they were dispatched last week.

He didn't have any left 'in stock' so these had to be made from scratch, so about 3 weeks seems about right. Obviously if he has a lot of orders together then the lead time might be a little longer.

I can thoroughly vouch for Andrew's floats having quite a selection put together over the past couple of years.