Turkey

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
I'm taking the family to Dalyan in Turkey in May. Anyone fished the area - either sea or freshwater? It's on a nice looking river near the sea, so i assume there's something worth catching nearby?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Hi Steve

I made the journey up the Dalyan river from Marmaris by boat a few years ago, very enjoyable it was too.

There are certainly Mullet in the river. I doubt ifthere are too many at Dalyan though, as there are heavy netting operations downstream. I'd still have a go though. You can almost certainly rent a small boat from Dalyan, to get away from the busy riverfront in the town.

The open sea is really a waste of time. There are small reef fish, small Mullet, Bream etc close in but nothing much over an ounce or2. There are one or 2 larger fish offshore, I once saw what I think were Tuna rounding up a school of bait fish. You'd be very lucky to catch one though, and there is no organised fishing.

Good luck, enjoy!

screamlead

Reaction score
I live in Turkey and theres loads of fishing to be done - theres a big lake at a place called koyegiz near dalaman airport.

Carp to 15kg plus a few strange lot of coarse fish to be had plus the usual.

Going on a recce sometime soon so wil lkeep you all posted.

As for boat trips i agree not much to be had close in however if you can find a decent one they do take you further out for the bigger bass, and tuna fishing.

Same again though not done too much but hoping to get out more this year and see for my self.

One word of advice though they do have licences here for tourist fishing including sea - if caught without - big big fines and tackle confiscated also guides have to be licensed too. No-one hardly ever checks the tourists but almost any turk is authorised to check and they will soon bubble you to the relevant authority if you upset one of them.

After all said and done they just think all brits are millionaires and want your passport and cash so be warned barter for everything - including the price of beer!!!!

steveo

Reaction score
Yeh last time I went fishing in Turkey all I caught was Stuffing fish and Giblet Bass.