Hook sharpener

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got the satndard Fox sharpener which I use for my fly hooks and larger coarse fishing hooks.

For lures and the like I think they do a 'predator' sharpener too.

I'd recommened them.

dave oates 2

Reaction score
got two fox sharpeners, i prefer the older one without the massive rubber handle.
If you have a local proper jeweler ask him if he has any old files, always worth asking!
My Carp mad mate has a jag file he raves about, then he would as he is a carp tackle tart...
dave

esox60

Reaction score
I've had the Fox hook sharpener for two season and it's as good as new. It has been used for lure trebles, snap tackle trebles, catfish hooks and larger size carp hooks with no problems!!

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
The Screwfix one is excellent, at £5.99. Use it all the time. I like the fact that it hides in its handle and has a nice groove down the middle to profile hooks properly. I see (after posting otherwise) that the Fox one's about the same price. So take your pick....

Last edited:

nicky

Reaction score
I find the fox predator hook sharpener good now i finally learnt how to use it properly.
I even use it on tiny hooks when float fishing when you get that tiny burr develop on the end one quick light swipe and it as good as new you can usually tell if it is proper sharp if it goes cleanly and smoothly through the skin of a maggot