Fly fishing for Carp

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Something I'm planning to do when I get home from my travels.

I've had a quick surf around the internet but most of the articles I've found relate to fishing in America.

Anyone know any internet resources for UK based fly for Carp?

Cheers.

G

Ged

Can't help you Ric. Had carp take take babydoll and copper bodied ombudsman when trout fishing, both fished on wet line.
Heard of people using fly rod to cast floating baits, i.e. dog biscuit but haven't seen anyone do this myself or found where they fished for them.

The Monk

Reaction score
I have actually tried carp fishing with fly but never had much luck I`ve also tried dapping, carp are of course omnivores and will eat anything in theory, thjey have been caught on dead baits and lures in the past, but I wouldnt recomend fishing for them this way, when I`ve seen them taking surface fauna however it always appear to be micro and macro invertibrates, very occassionally I`ve seen them take what I thought were flies?

T

The Welsh Windbag

I'm a big fan of using a fly with carp, I've posted a couple of times about it - go search....

Basically a brown deers hair beetle fly well doused in liquid pellet does a damned good impression of being a pedigree chum mixer /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif so feed the biccys and wait for the swirls, then cast away.

Enterprise fake plastic tiger nuts with a size ten hook through the side are also pretty good biccy imitations but I think the fly doused in liquid attractant has the slight edge, as it smells as well as looks like something well edible.

Just the best fun having a decent carp on a relatively light fly rod and line !

Plus, if you're learning to fly fish, a hell of a lot cheaper getting a ticket for a carp water to practice casting on than wasting thirty or so notes on blanking at a trout water.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies

I can't claim this is my idea, as I was shown it in Malaysia (more soon in an article).

What I intend to try is to get the carp active by feeding the water with full slices of Bread. They should then start to break them up, taking the smaller pieces as they float away/ slowly sink. I'll then sight cast to them with an extremely slow sinking fly of white fur.

Any thoughts?

R

Roto Fryer

it shoud work. ive used a fly rod and bread with great success on the canal

N

Nobby C

"ive used a fly rod and bread with great success on the canal"

Perhaps you could pass this info onto thecrayfish concerning his 'rigs for canals' question/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
so is this thread about fly fishing for carp or using a fly rod with bait on for carp?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I can see the fun in using a fly set up with bait, but it's just not for me. I guess I just like making things difficult for myself!

The Monk

Reaction score
I`ve used fly rods in the past for carp while bait fishing, but have considered it can add stress in the playing, much p[refer to get the carp on the bank as soon as possible, horses for courses I suppose

R

Roto Fryer

for me it was learning how to fly fish after a couple of lessons. i tried it out on the canal with bread. still havent been fly fishing for trout even though the canal fishing with a fly type setup was 10 or so years ago