Treble Hooks

terry m

Reaction score
There has been some debate about trebles versus single hooks, but when it comes to trebles, what is your hook of choice?

I have to say that I have yet to find trebles that beat Partridge, although Owner and Esox come close.

What is your treble choice?

B

Berty

It all depends on what i am presenting.......pike sometimes want large offerings.

graham472

Reaction score
Used to use Partridge until they became difficult to obtain.Now use Owner and have found them to be a very good hook.never tried Esox so cannot comment.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
There has been some debate about trebles versus single hooks, but when it comes to trebles, what is your hook of choice?

I have to say that I have yet to find trebles that beat Partridge, although Owner and Esox come close.

What is your treble choice?

What is it about the Partridge hooks that attracted you?

graham472

Reaction score
Started using them(Partridge)when i started to make my own traces.Did not like the Drennan offerings that were availiable then(a long while ago).The hooks of the day were Partridge or Eagle claw.I settled on the Partridge as i found them to be reliable for my uses and Eagle claw hard to find in the tackle shops in pre-internet days.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
High strength would put me off trebles. Your treble hook should be the weakest point in your tackle and you should be able to straighten them if you encounter a snag. I'm not suggesting you should use weak or soft trebles, but not having one straighten out suggests they are too strong.

If the line breaks instead, then you will leave a baited trace in the water. That bait will be swallowed by a pike and it will die.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

I don't fish for predatory fish, however, I used to use Partridge trebles which were just great for mounting on a par-boiled potato for Carp . . . . . . . . . .

[dons tin hat retreats to air raid shelter in the garden LOL]

graham472

Reaction score
I agree with Eric on the stength of the trebles used.It was only the Nev Fickling Partridge trebles that were extra stong.Not sure how they describe the latest offerings from Partridge.
Owner ST36 trebles would certainly fit the bill required by Eric.

chav professor

Reaction score
Saw an interesting product recently, a treble hook with the crimp integral to the hook - slide on the hook and crimp the top - ingenious design. Can't for the lie of me find it again on the net.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use a large selection of trebles on my lures but for bait fishing including live baiting I use the partridge Vick Bellers Which way double for some reason they give superior hooking and 99% of the time in the scissors in sizes 10 to 2 I have used these hooks since the early seventies in the first instence as the back hook only with a partridge out turned semi barbless as a point hook which were green in the seventies. After a season of using this tackle I changed the point hook for another which way and in doing so got less ejected takes so for bait fishing I have used this set up ever since some forty years.

---------- Post added at 03:16 ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 ----------

Saw an interesting product recently, a treble hook with the crimp integral to the hook - slide on the hook and crimp the top - ingenious design. Can't for the lie of me find it again on the net.

Lynx Fishing - www.lynx-fishing.com

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have looked at this idea and it looks very neat and they say that it is very very reliable but have you ever had one of your own traces that you have made yourself let you down because I never have I have tried crimping over the years but am not a fan of it and prefer to twist all my wire with the bonus of being able to re use the hooks when the trace becomes kinked.

chav professor

Reaction score
I have looked at this idea and it looks very neat and they say that it is very very reliable but have you ever had one of your own traces that you have made yourself let you down because I never have I have tried crimping over the years but am not a fan of it and prefer to twist all my wire with the bonus of being able to re use the hooks when the trace becomes kinked.

true..... I have a special way of making my traces to allow a bit of movement of the treble hook - the one not fixed to the bottom. I twist the bottom treble as per normal. The upper treble is fixed in place with a loop of wire crimped securely.

I like to re-use as much as possible.

terry m

Reaction score
High strength would put me off trebles. Your treble hook should be the weakest point in your tackle and you should be able to straighten them if you encounter a snag. I'm not suggesting you should use weak or soft trebles, but not having one straighten out suggests they are too strong.

If the line breaks instead, then you will leave a baited trace in the water. That bait will be swallowed by a pike and it will die.

The treble hook still can be the weakest point, it simply depends upon the BS of mono or braid used.