Waters

S

Simon Ford

I`ve noticed that a few waters around the area where i live are getting more and more expensive to fish. one lake to mention charges ?20 for 24 hours is this price worth it?

S

Stewart Bloor

Ok, so I'm not talking exclusivity for carp, but I go for club books. I currently have 4 and they cost ?28 max and ?7.50 minimum. And I have had doubles and a 20 this year from the waters that I have fished for Carp.

S

Simon Ford

I`m talking more o the lines of day ticket waters here stewart but i can see your point the problem is that there isn`t any clubs in my area so i either have to travel to further afield or pay the day-ticket price!

A

Andy Davis

Hi,

One of my local day ticket waters is ?7.50 per rod & no night fishing !

C

Carp Angler

Simon, where are you based?
and what are you looking to target?
species and sizes etc etc

M

mark tullett

Simon,
I think we are in the same area (Oxon). Most of the stillwaters around here are owned by commercial organisations and they do charge quite high prices. I tend to fish short sessions due to work, family etc and ?8-12 for 2 rods for 4-5 hours is alot. Clubs are cheaper but then travelling eats into fishing time, I have club tickets which cover a couple of smaller pits (one of which contains beutiful Mirrors) but have lots of restrictions. The South Cerney club is a cheap ticket but the Carp fishing can be very hard (ask Paul Hiom) as the waters are huge (100acres+ but with a huge, virtually untapped potential). You pays your money......!

S

Simon Ford

Yes Mark we do live in the same area but if i could find a tackle shop that sells club tickets near to me then i would buy club tickets because i like a challenge. If you know of any clubs/associations then e-mail me with the details and you never know i might see you on the bank

P

Paul Williams

Rik, did you hear that!!! 100acres of untapped water,...... boat, particles,are you thinking what i'm thinking???....Seroiusly though Simon i fish fairly regulary in Oxon and i know what you mean, day tickets can be expensive down there, have you tried talking to the guy's in J+k tacle?

S

Simon Ford

I knew you would come out with a comment like that Paul but j&k tackle is approx 35 miles from me and i`ve only been there once Hinders is closer but they couldn`t help so it looks like i`m going to have to take that 70 mile round trip to bicester after all,unless any of you out there can help me with waters that contain carp to over 20lb+ that 100acre lake sounds promising but who knows?:)

C

Carp Angler

Simon,
need I ask again?
Where are you based and what radius for the lakes?

M

MARK FRAME

ive never been there but is there no rivers you can fish for the carp in?

P

Paul Williams

Simon, carp angler may come up with more but if you contact States fishing tackle in Whitney they sell day and season tickets for a couple of waters that hold 20lb+ carp, carp and myself looked at them last week, i haven't fished them mind.

C

Carp Angler

That big lake looked tasty, might do a bit on there myself next year.
Was it called Whelford AC Paul?
The specimen lake???

M

mark tullett

Where do I start?. The lakes Paul is on about belong to Newland AC based in Witney (for Newlands read State Tackle 'cos it's basically the same lot!)They have 4 pits in total, 1 is a Carp 'bagging' water another which contains lots of Carp to high doubles with one or two twenties and the 'Specimen' lake, I must admit I've not much knowledge of it but has had some very big Carp, Tench & Pike over the years & several fish - kills. The Fourth pit 'States Lagoon' has only been stocked with Roach, Bream & Tench to (their words)'provide a venue for pleasure anglers'.Newlands are a strange club as they seem intent on ruining the smaller pits with excessive swim clearance, earthworks etc but the fishing can be good, I think the club book is about ?60 with night fishing on the 'Specimen lake' only, I haven't rejoined this year. Most of the other pits belong to Linear fisheries although there is one large pit belonging to the caravan site and a smaller but well established pit belonging to Vauxhall AC (been heavily fished this summer. Whelford is between Lechlade & Fairford, there are 2 small pits run as a very heavily stocked Carp fishery, why anyone would want to fish it is beyond me as it's always packed! The Thames down the road is virtually deserted!.Simon I'll mail you some details of more club waters off-line. Paul/Carp if you would like more info on the Newlands 'specimen lake' I'll see if I can get some.

C

Carp Angler

Cherrs Mark,
wouldn't mind some info on the specimen lake, but you know how difficult and secretive these bloody carp anglers can be!!!!!!!!!!

N

Neil Wayte

Some ten years ago Iwrote an article for the carpfisher asking wether carp were becoming the fourth game fish.It was returned by the editor a well know carp angler who said we can't print that and don't be so silly.I can think of at least two syndicates that are?1000 a year now and several day ticket waters that are ?40 a day.Who's silly now.As some one else said earlier in this thread try your local rivers.